Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crazy AC

J

James Price

My 96 C.E. Lt4 has some kind of crazy thing going on with the AC.

First it blows real cold, no problem there...But, it blows mostly out from the top (defrost) vent. (it will even make frost appear on the windshield!)
Sometimes it starts to come through the vents facing the passengers but when my engine speed changes it seems to change where the AC blows from....

I haven't ever modified or repaired anything in the system, it only has 31K on it.

Blowing force is good
The fan speed works fine.
Temerture is cold.

But it has a mind of it's own when it comes to where it blows from!

any ideas???

Likely AC answer

I have a CE with the same problem. I'm about 99.9% certain that it's the climate control computer that's causing the air to flow out of the defroster vents (and in mine) intermittent control over fan speed when I try to operate it on the manual setting. I received a post on Corvette Forum from a CE owner who replaced his to cure the EXACT symtoms.
Access to the controller is gotten by removing the drivers side bolster below the dash with the removal of about six torx screws. Once you do that, the controller is in fairly clear view. I'm told it's a $185 dollar item and that removal / installation is tedious but not terribly difficult.
Good luck Cire96 :beer

it could be a vacuum line... If it goes to the defrost when you are Acceleration, then you have a leak... if it is random, then who knows:)

C.E. AC

Thanks for the replies on the Crazy AC. I haven't tried any of the suggestions as of yet but I will.

If Im successful, I will definitely let everyone know what worked.

had the same problem. 1st, i had a cracked "T" in the vacuum line connection under the right fuel rail cover. part was about $6-$7 at dealer. still had problem, so i pulled the AC programmer out from under the dash, cleaned the electrical connections & tightened the vacuum line bundle connection, now all works as it should.
found the info on several different vette sites. i'll send you the links if you need them.

Fixed AC

I found a broken Vacuum Damper Valve under the passenger side fuel rail.

Fixed it and now AC works perfectly.

I repaired the old one for now until I can find somebody who has a new one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom