Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crazy Wheel Vibration

H

Happydad

Well on "Betty's" Possibly last voyage for a few months(we'll see how the new adventure goes
ack2.gif
) I was getting up to about 50-55 and the steering wheel started shaking like crazy
eek6.gif
..The car still went straight but the vibration was crazy..I backed off to about 40 and it almost went away..Now.. I have purchased tires and wheels form a forum member a while back and those are on the car now..I did have them balanced..Should I take them back and have them checked?? Ya don't think it's a front end issue do ya
ack2.gif
I have no play in the bearings when you move the tire in and out,,But I have never had an alignment done yet,,Hell the car hasn't seen 300 miles in two years...Just need some input please
biggrin5.gif

New Wheels (to you)? Is one of the wheels bent or out of round? Seems too coincidental that you change wheels and now have this vibration problem. Maybe the balance job wasn't done right.

The first thing I would check is tire pressure.

But, that's just me.

SAVE THE :w

The first thing I would check is tire pressure.

But, that's just me.

I agree with lt4man, I have had pretty severe vibration with low air pressure.Mid to low 20s can do it.

Glenn
:w

I just ran my car for a short trip on the I slab and had a rough tire problem. As soon as it stops raining I am going to hook up the air compressor and check the tires on all my vehicles. Thanks to this forum I have been reminded to look after my tires. Thanks everyone:beer

I'll Check it out and post results...If pressure is O.K. could it be ball joints and such:confused...Not very familiar with front end stuff

BTW how far did you drive it? When my corvette sits for a week the tires flat side and it takes 8 to 10 miles for them to smooth out. You would swear the wheels are loose and you do feel it in the steering wheel.

Glenn
:w

A vibration could be caused by any one or more of the following:

Unequal tire pressure
Belt shifted on tire
Bent rim
Tire & rim out of balance
Worn tie rod end(s)
Worn upper ball joint(s)
Worn lower ball joint(s)
Worn upper control arm bushing(s)
Worn lower control arm bushing(s)
Worn steering rack bushing(s)
Any bent component found in the front suspension

All of these items need to be checked visually.

Well Then...That sort of narrows it down....:D

I forgot one other thing:

Steering column trunnion

Start at the top of my list and work your way down.

Bent wheel

I have not been able to drive my Corvette (had it a week) because the driver's side rear wheel is bent. I put new tires on the day after I bought it (Discount Tire told me it was bent) and was very much looking forward to wearing the new off my car for a while. It vibrates badly above 40 mph.

Kinda down but - maybe will get it fixed or get a new wheel. For now, it sits.

Foy
Las Vegas

Well Then...That sort of narrows it down....:D
How old are the tires you picked up from the member? LT4man could be right about a belt in the tire going bad especially if they've been sitting around a few years but, let's try being a bit optimistic; maybe you grabbed some mud or debris on the rim or threw a balancing weight.

How old are the tires you picked up from the member? LT4man could be right about a belt in the tire going bad especially if they've been sitting around a few years but, let's try being a bit optimistic; maybe you grabbed some mud or debris on the rim or threw a balancing weight.

Jack the car up and spin the wheel. If its out of round you can see it.
If a belt has shifted you can usually see that as well.

Run your hands around the tire during the spin and feel for buldges or something that just doesn't feel right.

One last item, Check torque on all the lug nuts make sure they are tight.
If you have new wheels and the wrong lug nuts and washers they can work loose quickly.
If they are loose, look at the lug nut seats closely and make sure they are cupped or beveled or whatever looks like it will fit the back of your lug nut.( several styles of nuts)

I have seen situations where a wheel was put on at a bad angle due to ... umm .. goo or whatever.. being in between the wheel and the hub.

good luck :beer

Once had a vibration due to a rotor was improperly cut whilst doing a brake job. More of a high speed thing though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom