Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! creating artificial vacuum for testing purposes

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
One of my winter projects that I never got around to was repairing my headlights operation. One of the areas that would need to be addressed was all the vacuum lines, as I likely have some that are shot.

I didn't want to have the engine running just to generate vacuum so I wanted to know what ways I can create vacuum from the outside with the engine off.

What's the most effective/reliable way?
What's the easiest way?
The most inexpensive way?

I've also heard of a "smoke test" in which smoke gets fed into the system and where you see it come out is where you have leaks. Anyone ever heard of this? Comments about it?

I LOVE my Mighty Vac!! Mityvac I'm on my second one, there are deals out there and sometimes GREAT sales! Really good Multi function tool
Charlie

There's two ways I have seen used.

1) go to a wine kit store and rent an electric vacuum pump.

2) run a long tube outside your garage attached to another car running at idle.

I got heavily flamed on another forum for suggesting the latter, apparently for causing global warming. :ugh

I'm going to run outside and run long tubes from all my cars to..........I don't care what. I just want some of that global warming. I've been too cold for too long. I've been watching the weather in Key West. If it were warmer I'd go there on a vacation.

There's two ways I have seen used.

1) go to a wine kit store and rent an electric vacuum pump.

2) run a long tube outside your garage attached to another car running at idle.

I got heavily flamed on another forum for suggesting the latter, apparently for causing global warming. :ugh

Much easier to just buy a hand-operated vacuum pump, I'd think. Sometime mentioned the Mityvac....that's a good brand. Mityvac's metal pump is a very good piece of equipment. I've had on in my shop for many years and use it all the time.

You can buy an inexpensive vacuum pump at Harbor Freight. I think they are abou $15.

As most have said, a hand held pump is how I troubleshoot the vacuum system for the C3 headlight and wiper door circuit.

Ditto here.. I have a double action pump (air in/out on both up and down strokes) that can do pull and push air for pumping up 'flotation devices'.. :chuckle

Got that at a recreation store with a air mattress. Comes in real handy and thats how i troubleshoot vacuum issues on mine.

This guy is very similar (mine has an outlet for the air in on the other side you cant see in this pic):
6.5LT%20PUMP.jpg

:w
-Stefan

The mity vac pumps are OK for testing components one by one when they are isolated from the rest of the system, but cannot usually pump enough air fast enough to do the whole system at the same time, if that's part of your strategy.

...but (MityVac pumps) cannot usually pump enough air fast enough to do the whole system at the same time, if that's part of your strategy.
I was kinda thinking that same thing. However, I really know nothing yet about troubleshooting vacuum, so I don't really have a strategy yet.
I'll tackle almost any job as long as I have the proper tools, so I'm trying to determine the right tools for the job. Although the "job" is only loosely defined right now.

I was kinda thinking that same thing. However, I really know nothing yet about troubleshooting vacuum, so I don't really have a strategy yet.
I'll tackle almost any job as long as I have the proper tools, so I'm trying to determine the right tools for the job. Although the "job" is only loosely defined right now.

'Dre. This troubleshooting link has helped me quite a bit. I have a few others (diagrams mostly) and some other collected reading before it 'clicked' in my head, but start out with this guy. LINK

:w
-Stefan

Vacuum pumps are easy to make,Mine is the compressor out of a old Crosley Refrigerator!!:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

:D

Have your wife or girlfriend suck on the hose. It will not work, but it keeps her mouth closed for a few minures. Tell her it works great so you can use this ploy again in the
fguture. Mityvac works great.

Ok this sounds very Shade tree mechanic but if anyone else has a better idea shoot.

I have located vacume leaks by getting a large Mason Jar. Punch a small hole in the top and feed a vacume line into it. take a small piece of paper and light it on fire and throw into the mason jar. Put the lid on it. it will fill up with smoke. Then attach the vacume line from the mason jar to your vacume system with a T. then look for the smoke.

I had to take the belt off the fan so that I could keep the "wind" still in the engine compartment.

Worked great and found the problem in about 10 seconds.

The mity vac pumps are OK for testing components one by one when they are isolated from the rest of the system, but cannot usually pump enough air fast enough to do the whole system at the same time, if that's part of your strategy.

If you can't pump enough air with a hand pump, then the leak you are trying to find is going to be pretty obvious. Neverthelss, the best way to provide that much flow is....start the engine.;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom