Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crossfire Question

vettin

Corvette
1986 Corvette Pace Car
I have heard that crossfire motors give trouble maybe not but what troubles have they gave if so?

The problem with the Cross Fire Vettes was GM's silly notion that all cars would like the same settings as their test mule. If you have someone that can set up the Cross Fire it is a very reliable and simple system. I had mine set up when I bought it and it has been rock solid. It has its quirks just like anything else but is not the monster everyone says it is. The big issue is the small intake runners. However if you do a search on here for Cross Fire Injection you'll find a post of mine with the web site to a guy who has done some mods to Cross Fire intakes and throttle bodies that help alot. One of the site also has an article about a guy in Canada pushing 400Hp with his Cross Fire 84. Also member elkabong on here has an 84 that is on its way to being a terror to reckon with.

The simple answer is they may not be the fastest Vettes but they are still great cars.

:beer

Thanks

Same here with my crossfire. It has been very reliable.

My mechanic said that there is no big deal with it.....it is TBI (throttle body injection) not TPI (tuned port injection). Throttle body injection was used a long time by GM on many different vehicles. As long as one knows the difference life is easier.

It was amazing the crossfire horror stories I heard when I was looking at an '84.

Robert

I've had several TBI cars and never a problem from one of them in that regards. My 84 has been a solid performer in the year that I've had it. Most of the problems with them are the fact that there are 2 TBI units on the intake manifold and they have to be in sync with eachother and adjusted with what I believe is called a manometer which uses water in a tube to measure their performance. Hoping to meet some one some day that could show me how to set it up with one but for right now she starts and runs great so why tinker with it.

Robert said:
My mechanic said that there is no big deal with it.....it is TBI (throttle body injection) not TPI (tuned port injection). Throttle body injection was used a long time by GM on many different vehicles. As long as one knows the difference life is easier.
It was amazing the crossfire horror stories I heard when I was looking at an '84.
Robert

Ditto.
Virtually trouble free after 5 years but easy to work on for repair or preventive maintenance when needed.
Terry

I made my own manometer. I made it for a 1986 Honda Shadow. I searched the web for "DIY carb sticks".

I made it for under $10.00. I got a yardstick (free at Ace Hardware), about 12 feet of clear plastic tubing, a coat hanger, bought two brass couplings and tapped on threads to match the carb ports and some clear tape. I put automatic trans fluid in the tubing so that if it got sucked into one of the carbs(in the event that they were THAT far out of sync), it would not hurt the engine. It worked great!!!! I am sure it would work on a Crossfire TB with the right connection.

Robert

Robert said:

Robert

All the 'horror' stories are generated by those who have never owned one, and know nothing about them! Mine has been trouble free in both stock and modified form. Like your mechanic said, its just TBI, almost identical to that which powers thousands of other cars/trucks everyday..
Personally, I like it!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom