Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crossfire Upgrades: My Quest for More Air and More Fuel

Vacuum Readings?

Kane, sounds like your making good progress. Great! I on the other hand have had nothing but issues every inch of the way on my "84. Actually had to walk away from the tuning for a period of time it got so frustrating. Currently refurbing the interior. Anyway, I have a similar set-up and I'm wondering if you have taken any vacuum readings. Would like to compare to mine if you have, thanks.

Great thread .... any updates ???

It's running great!

Did have to adjust the lash on it. Rockers on the number 2 and 4 cylinders had come a bit loose- that caused false knock as well as simply not opening the valves enough to make good power. I think this happened once it started going to 5,500rpm with the new intake- it wasn't used to it! The cam was replaced in the past- I don't think the valve train was ever adjusted after break in.

Replaced the fan clutch... I think it was dating back to the 80s. That cleared up problems with it running hot.

Once I had these little ankle biters sorted out, it has run like a top.

Anyhoo... I've spent the last however many driving it, taking it to cruises, and enjoying it. :thumb

Kane, sounds like your making good progress. Great! I on the other hand have had nothing but issues every inch of the way on my "84. Actually had to walk away from the tuning for a period of time it got so frustrating. Currently refurbing the interior. Anyway, I have a similar set-up and I'm wondering if you have taken any vacuum readings. Would like to compare to mine if you have, thanks.

Sorry I'm getting back to you sooo late.

I don't have any vac readings to share. It's been a few months- I can't recall the specifics.

If you are having problems with off-idle... it could be your throttle shafts. There aren't any bushings- so they are NOTORIOUS for wearing out.

Interesting posts. My L83 now is a 383, inserted in my custom '55 F100 with 700R4 and full C4 suspension. Initially built with a carb/intake and 'RV' cam, for low end torque, good fuel mileage, it also has the D36 3.07 rear.

Early still, in the build but I always wanted to do a well running CFI, using the parts I've been storing for a decade or so; back before anyone was really making power with that setup.

Very interesting to hear all the comments about improved performance form the L83 engine. My 82 has the original ECM/ECU and I presume the original chip. I have the Edelbrock Performer cam and their Street C/Heads. I now have about 260 BHP on the rolling road. It goes well but does have a lot of Pinking issues when the weather is hot. This is under constant review but I thought I would add some comments about the Renegade Manifold that I purchased a few years ago.
The quality of it was generally pretty good, but I did not like the countersunk screws that retain the top assy and the heater take off fitting was not correct. I had to have a piece made up to accept my standard water supply pipe. The initial snag was that it fouled the oil pressure sensor at the back of the block and a lot of dressing had to be done to get some clearance.
The big issue was that the engine would not run above 2000 rpm . The airflow was so much better than before (that was the hope) but the old Rochester TBIs could not supply enough fuel and the mixture became leaner and leaner.
In the UK there is almost no expertise on this set up and most 82/84 owners tend to leave their cars well alone. Disappointed with the renegade purchase and no customer support from Eddie Motorsport, I reverted back to the original manifold.
Changing the injectors sounds great but as to which ones is not easy. Also, will these need more fuel pressure ? I am interested in the Hypertech chips . I have heard that A C5 chips works well in the 82 ECM. Does anyone have a thought about this. I will be in Florida later in the year and it would be easy to bring one home. Is a more up to date ECU worth thinking about and if so which one?

Lots of issues to consider . Thanks for your time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom