Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

crossfire

robertha

Corvette
1984 coupe
Does anyone think that it would be a waste of time to upgrade my crossfire ie "X- Ram" on a motor that has 130 k on it. Maybe I should have the engine rebuilt or just buy a new crate engine. It is running fine now but not sure how long that will last

Not broke? Don't fix!

The Xfire has it's limits as is discussed all over this orum, primarily the high RPM due to very small, and not enlargeable intake ports. The answer to your question lies in how much you wish to spend and how do you want the car to drive.

I upgraded my L83 as best I could over the years, but decided on a total re-engine system swap (not really recommended, and pricey) when #7 bearing spun at 105k.

mike

Really don't want to spend to much. Now you have me scared about my 135k Vet. She could blow any day. I am taking her on a trip this weekend for about 500 miles. Do you know what options there are as for engines that will fit in the 84 when I replace it? I really want somethng that will rock.

If you're thinking about putting on the X-ram, you may want to hold off. I talked to the guy who designed the x-ram a few months back and he said they are working on a new one that will have more airflow along with an injector upgrade to allow even more. He gave me some rough numbers, but I can't accuratly recall the estimated cfm. check out www.x-ram.com you can email him and see their progress on the new set up. He said it will be at least a year (back in June) If you can wait that long...

Here is a dyno sheet of a guy that did a run with and without the x-ram. He only had very minimal mods other than the intake. I believe the only thing that changed from the 2 pulls was the x-ram intake.

Thanks for the good info . I think I will wait until next year to make any changes in the engine as long as she holds out that long. Iliked the idea of the x-ram, it all makes sence to me even though I am not a real tech person.

No Fear

Great reading for any Crossfire owner.

Had this been an option for my project, I'd have one! How much simpler than converting to TPI!!!!! Mine took 3 years!

I would recommend upgrading fuel hoses, if the fuel pump is changed to a TPI pump, as I had a hose split from the higher pressure. Rubber hose couples steel lines inside and out of the tank.

Robertha, Don't fear of your car. I hope I didn't scare you. You did say your car was running fine and I have found that mileage is only a piece of how long and how well it'll run. I have bought many fine cars, import and domestic with 'high mileage', but which had been obviously well maintained. Time and again I hear of SBC engines with 250-300k miles. I believe my car was hot-rodded at the 'insurance-preferred' body shop, which caused the bearing failure.

No Fear of C4

Thanks for the confidence on older high miliage cars. I got back from my 500 mile trip this weekend and boy am I happy with the performance the C4 showed.

C4

I did not get to finish my story of my trip. I ran the car a little slower than I normally drive just to see how the gas milage would do and here are the numbers. 132,856 miles on the car , 65 mph, 1800 rpm, oil temp 225, water temp 204, 26 mpg. WOW are those great numbers or what? I set the cruse and let it purr. I never enjoyed a trip in a car more than I did this weekend in that Vet. To date the only thing I have done to it is serviced the tranny, rear end, tuned it up ,replace the radiator and thermostat, changed to Mobil 1 15 -w50 and put the Hypertech chip in it. She really deserves a face lift. That might be something that I will do over the winter instead of messing with the engine right now.

Wonderful!

How nice to hear of an owner and his joys of driving his Vette! i got to revisit my early drives in my then-new '84. How fast it was! How economical! How hard it pulled the lateral G's! How quickly I wanted more! :s

BTW, you know you can edit ANY post for finishing a story o correcting typing. Click on the blue 'edit' at the bottom of your message. This saves some forum 'real estate' for all of us viewers.

Hey Robertha. What kind of mileage where you getting on your 84 during your trip? I just drove my recently acquired 84 with 131k on it from California to Nevada and back (510 miles round trip) and was getting close to 24 miles per gallon and drove perfectly. I hear TPI's are getting closer to 30 on the highway.:bu

Duhhhhhhh!!!! Just read your post again. Never mind lol :duh

I was waiting also on the X-ram for a different reason.

The way it is now it dosent have a EGR valve. They said they are working on that now and may put one out with a EGR. I need the stupid emisions here:hb

:Steer

I do not have to worry about the emmissions in Kansas so I guess I could use the one they have out now. Just not sure what the computer will think about it,

I just failed emissions with my x-fire...

ffvetteman you are right, he told me the new one they are developing will have a EGR valve.

Bob, I have 230,000 miles on my bronco, so don't worry about mileage alot. If it runs good and doesn't smoke(or have other bad habits) just drive it. My 84 has 120,000 miles on it and going strong. A good place to look for crossfires information is www.crossfire.homeip.net they talk about boring your throttle bodies, x-rams, sy1 intakes, str-10 intakes, changing computers, cams, heads, etc. A good site for performance upgrades for crossfires.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom