Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Cruise control:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
The 1980 Vette I just purchased was suppose to have the factory cruise control on it. I bought it on Ebay and it was advertised with one. I've had the car now for about 4 weeks working on it and driving it yesterday for really the first time. Surprise, it does not have the cruise control. I'm still pissed.

Does anyone think I could still add one to it. Original stuff would be really nice, but that might be to much to wish for.

Thanks, Glenn

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're Corvette wasn't as advertised.

When you say it does not have cruise control, what do you mean?

Was the option not on the car from the factory?
Did it come with cruise control but some/all of the components have been removed?

My 1982 came with cruise, but the previous owner removed it.
I found some aftermarket cruise control kits for about $100.
My father installed one in a Jeep and said they can install in an afternoon, but I don't have any first-hand experience to support that.

Good luck!!

Hello,
Being my first Vette I'm just going by what I read. From what I understand the cruise should be built in the turn signal switch. Not. I am the third owner and now as for as I know it did not come with cruise from the factory. I assume that the car has none of the other parts for cruise installed. Everything on the car was suppose to be original. The guy I purchased it from on Ebay was selling it for the second owner and said he took it for granted that it had cruise. I may look into a aftermarket, but I wanted to keep all at least looking original.
Thank You,

I added a 77 cruise control to my 76(which was not an option for the 76). The 77 cruise was a one year only, and had a cable that ran fron the servo to the carb. This cable is no longer made or found. I then switched the 77 servo out for a 80 sytle which mounts to the intake behind the carb. You have to have the wiring harness for the cruise control, add brake switches, have the steering wheel control, and etc. This aftermarket will need all that also, installed. I had to drill a grommet hole in the fire wall to install the factory stuff also, removing all the dash on the drivers side. Its quite a bit of work, and I don't think I would do it again.

Contact these folks on the forum and see if you can obtain a copy of the original dealer invoice for your car. Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Owner Information Center | Build Sheets | Documentation

The invoice will list the options installed on the car at St. Louis (and prices), the original dealer, shipping date, expected delivery date, and other interesting information about your specific Corvette. It's worth the $50.

The 1980 assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the installation of the optional cruise control system and lists the original part numbers. You could probably assemble the required parts and add the option to your car.

:)

By what you described, I would not even attempt it. I usually try to fix something myself first and screw it up, and then have to pay somebody to do it anyhow.
Thanks

The March 2008 "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine has an excellent article with lots of photos about installing a Dakota Digital cruise control in a C3.

Here's a link to the kit that was installed for the article:

Cruise Control for Cable Driven Speedometers

My 78 has the original factory installed cruise control and it works OK, but I'm considering replacing it with the Dakota Digital kit or a similar system. The original cruise control doesn't have a "resume" feature, so whenever it disengages I must get on the gas pedal to again find the speed I want, then re-engage the cruise control. Inconvenient, but still much better than not having it!

Good luck with your install!

Jerry
78IndyPace

Jerry,
This looks like it make be my ticket. I am checking into it.
Thank You very much!
Glenn

If you want factory cruise, I have all my original stuff sitting in a box just waiting for an offer. :D

I'm not a very good mechanic. Would it be difficult to install? If so what do you think it was cost to have it done? BALLPARK

I'm not a very good mechanic. Would it be difficult to install? If so what do you think it was cost to have it done? BALLPARK
Ahh, that I have no idea.
If the car didn't come with CC from the factory, you'll likely be payin' someone else to do the work (based on your previous comment). As soon as you start paying for custom labor, well...;shrug... you might want to consider whether or not you really want CC. Or, consider going an alternate route like that mentioned above that won't require as much custom work.

Hello,
Being my first Vette I'm just going by what I read. From what I understand the cruise should be built in the turn signal switch. Not. I am the third owner and now as for as I know it did not come with cruise from the factory. I assume that the car has none of the other parts for cruise installed. Everything on the car was suppose to be original. The guy I purchased it from on Ebay was selling it for the second owner and said he took it for granted that it had cruise. I may look into a aftermarket, but I wanted to keep all at least looking original.
Thank You,

Just want to make sure you know the cruise button on this car is just embedded into the end of the signal lever. There are no obvious switches like on the newer GM models. If the writing is worn off the lever and you don't notice the button on the very end of the lever, you can easily miss it. To activate cruise control, you have to get to the desired speed, then press the button HALF-WAY in. Mine is very flaky and doesn't engage easily and I think most are that way. You may already know all this, but thought I'd throw it out there in case you missed it and before you spend a bundle on an aftermarket cruise control system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom