Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cruise Control

cash's90

Corvette
1990 Charcoal Metallic Coupe
I finally got around to trying out the cruise control on my new ride. Attempted to turn-on and engage - nothing happened. Tried the various control options available. Nothing.
It's the same control stock as my '97 burb so it's not a operator error.
Haynes is silent on trouble shooting.
Any suggestions on what to check first would be appreciated.
:confused

I'd check the plastic vaccum canister that connects to your intake, these are prone to break due to heat. I had the same problem, just went to the local dealer and bought a new one...only costs a couple bucks. This is where I'd check first, good luck!

Eric

Vacuum line right above the battery that leads around the wheel well. Battery acid corrodes that one on a lot of Vettes. Makes the cruise inoperable. As howser said, check the vac lines first. They're the most likely to fail but easy and inexspensive to fix. :)

Spiderman :w

Cruise problems

Vac lines #1 failure

The switch (s) under the brake & clutch not adjusted correctly ( backed out )

OR

The stalk switch is bad

Last.. servo death

Vig!

Checked vacuum hoses and cannon ball vacuum canister. Applied vacuum and they each held a vacuum.
Checked switch - with key on, the solenoid clicked when the Cruise Control on button was activated.
Took the cover off the servo relay assembly and checked continuity of the 3 coils. All OK.
Applied 12 volts to the 2 relay coils and they activated (I learned not to apply voltage to the left hand relay with the relay cover off - the shuttle flys out).
Applied vacuum to the servo diaphragm while depressing the recovered shuttle into the left hand coil (simulationg relay activation). The diaphragm opened the throttle completely and held it open as long as vacuum was applied.
Need to check the brake pedel switch Vigman mentioned.
I can feel the vacuum hose entering a boss under the brake servo but cannot identify a switch. How do you access it?
:TALK

You have to remove

The drivers side HUSH panel, the switch ( assuming auto ) is located on the top of the brake pedal assy.. push the brake pedal down 1/2 inch.. then shove the switch FWD ( twds firewall)..You will understand once you get under there.

The switch locking mechnism is the CHEAPEST POS know to man!

Vig!

I'm not sure if you fixed your problem yet, but if you haven't, I had to replace the small plastic T valve that was located under the plastic Corvette shield that clips on top of the passenger side of the intake.

There was a small hole on the under side of this valve and once I replaced it, my cruise and A/C vent controls started working again.

I pulled the hush panel and found the switches up under a maze of wires & connectors. One is a vacuum breaker and one is an electrical breaker. They looked OK.
I checked the vacuum breaker switch by applying a vacuum and pressing the brake pedel. The vacuum was released.
I checked the electrical by activating the Cruise Control on-off switch with the brake pedel depressed. No relay action at the servo with the pedel depressed. Relay activates only when the brake pedel is released.
Does anyone have a diagram for the Cruise Control?
Cruise - all the vacuum lines are holding vacuum.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom