Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Curiosity1968-72

D

David Carrier

I am interested in buying a corvette stingray within the next couple months. I have found many nice cars between 1975 and 1981. I am curious if its worth the wait and the money to find a car between 1968 and 1972. The horsepower difference seems to be grand. Any input or comments are much appreciated.

I am interested in buying a corvette stingray within the next couple months. I have found many nice cars between 1975 and 1981. I am curious if its worth the wait and the money to find a car between 1968 and 1972. The horsepower difference seems to be grand. Any input or comments are much appreciated.

Emissions and the related lower compression ratios did cut the horsepower on later C3s (starting in '71) but a lot of the change was the reporting method (net vs. gross.)

Still, IMO the chrome bumper models are the better cars. But I'm biased. ;)

It depends what you are looking for in the car. I don't think that the performance difference is noticable and if you are driving a 35 year old car I don't know how wise it is to test its upper limits. Chrome bumper vettes are desireable but they cost more. Later years 73-77 are great cars and can cost a lot less.

Which will appreciate more or depreciate less? That is a question no one can answer for sure. But if you are looking for an investment put your money in stocks or mutual funds. They will give you a better return every time.

If you buy a C3 be prepared to do a lot of work to keep them running properly or be prepared to spend a whole lot of money paying someone to do it for you. Cars that are 30+ years old need repairs and maintainence.

Hmmmmm, last time I looked my '73 had a chrome bumpers:cool

I think there are quite a lot of differences between the 68-72 cars and the 73-82 cars; so people have their own preferences. Personally I think the $$$ difference is worth it . While cost is a big factor for most of us I would encourage you to search for and buy the car you really want. The longer you plan to keep the car the more important it is to buy what you want.
Regards,
Alan

i suggest a 63-67 version :beer

just throwing in my .02

C3 is very nice. If I were going to get one it would be 68-72 vintage.

choices

My pick is 1970 to 1972, 350, buy the best example,you can aford, and one that has been used regulary,and the colour you like, i personally would never own red, or any green. regards.

C3BuyersGuide-1.jpg

Good information here; worth the price of a copy. Reading through it will help when it comes time to make a choice.

:)

The later C3's are built with all the weight and aerodynamics modifications. They are also cheaper to purchase and what money you may have left over, opposed to purchasing an early C3, you can put towards restoration. Unfortunately, HP and TQ significantly decreased due to emmissions, etc. IMHO any C3 is a wonderful investment and exciting to drive. I personally like the C3 chrome bumper Vette's specifically the 73. As mentioned, it really is personal preference. What are your goals and how much money do you have to work with? Are you looking for a show car, weekend driver or daily driver? Will you be doing the work yourself? There is a lot to consider and everyone here will agree to just "be patient". You will know when the vette and time is right.

Half the Chrome Bumper is what makes his Vette so unique...;)

Of course I was just teasing.

His car looks awesome as do all of the C3s. I just love the shark lines, regardless of bumper style.

I almost bought a "worked" 79 L-82 (headers, heads, cam, etc.) and looked at a couple of BB verts before settling on my LT-1.

If it's a Vette, it's gotta be good. :)

It really all depends on what you want. The older C3s are very cool, but you may not want to drive/race them to death because they are much rarer, and getting harder to find. If you go newer, like '74-78 you can get them A LOT cheeper, and there are still many of them out there for sale at very reasonable prices. Go find a nice '76 and drive the damn thing. You can learn a lot about C3s by working on it, and later get a "classic".

It depends what you are looking for in the car. I don't think that the performance difference is noticable and if you are driving a 35 year old car I don't know how wise it is to test its upper limits.

Just put mine in storage this past Wednesday. On the way to the storage building I came up on a car I thought was going kinda slow, so I moved into the passing lane and gave it a little gas. When I looked down a second later I was at 90+ - it's SOOOooooo SWEET!

Go for the bumpers.

Just put mine in storage this past Wednesday. On the way to the storage building I came up on a car I thought was going kinda slow, so I moved into the passing lane and gave it a little gas. When I looked down a second later I was at 90+ - it's SOOOooooo SWEET!

Go for the bumpers.

You only live once and you cant take it with ya. so if you can afford it id say go for it, the more chrome the better. ask any rubber bumper owner and most will tell you they'd rather have a chrome bumper car, even if its just one.

the 73 is the best of both worlds you 2 bumper guys treat us like a red headed stepchild . LOL

Since you included 78-81 in the "nice car" category for consideration - those have the glass backs and no convertibles - I'm presuming convertibles and buttressed rear window coupe styling is not that important...? (73-77 retained the 'classic' early C3 styling except for the bumpers and convertibles were available for several of those years)

Ruling out styling... That only leaves horsepower as your differentiator. Understand that the single biggest reason for a difference in HP is NOT emissions as stated earlier, but rather a mere difference in how HP is measured/calculated in '72+ is all. That change from gross to SAE net knocked off far more HP on an L48 than a single exhaust and cat! Yet the engine didn't change at all in '72! Cats, which did take a bite out of performance, didn't come around until '75. BBs were still avail until then too. And the L82 was available in most plastic bumpered years as well and is virtually equivalent to the 350hp L46. So if you are really interested in HP as a distinguishing factor on a pre '73 that means you are looking at an LT1 or SHP BB. If you are looking at a base BB or L48 or even an L46 - than you can find 'similar' performance in a plastic bumpered C3.

Bottom line is if it's just the "horsepower difference" as noted - understand the difference in how HP was measured/calculated pre '72 so a more apples to apples comparison is made between the eras. Any SBC can of course be modified for more power to your hearts (or wallets) content.

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom