Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

curious - amount of car use on your C1 or C2

i drive my 64 all the time. Just took a 1000 mile weekend from SC to NCM for CCX. Could have gone another 1000 easy.:beer

wow, I just noticed this thread had somehow gotten revived. How did that happen? it was originally back from 2004! ;LOL

When you have a problem and have to be towed, does that count as negative miles. ;help A little problem with the carb and on the road without any tools means using a tow truck to get back home to fix the problem.

I just wanted to add.

Its just for lack of time and places to go.

You Know its pretty interesting I keep using the same old excuse of no time.

I do factually know I love to work on them more then drive them. If I work on them I can see the results of the work when I am done. If I go to a car show I feel guilty just siting around doing nothing.

Funny a couple weeks ago I was at a corvette show and this guy next to me would sit down, then get up walk around in a circle,wipe his car, orginize his cleanig supplys. I mean he just could not sit still. He was making me CRAZY :W So finally I said I bet you lunch you cant sit in that chair for more a half an hour, Dont you know how to relax? Just sit and enjoy the sun RELAX thats what shows are about .

He then said he would bet me 100 dollars I couldnt sit in my chair for 15 minutes and he thought I was tweaking on on crack and he was just going to tell me I should learn to relax .

Next year I promise I am going to drive my cars more often.

Next year I promise I am going to drive my cars more often.

Almost every morning, I drive mine to one of several local restaurants for breakfast, and always park it where I can marvel at the midyear design.

Then, if the weather is particularly good, I'll get in an afternoon cruise if work hasn't swamped me. It's like a drug.
smiley-smoke.gif

Thanks Andy. That was a sweet trip to NCM. Didn't see any "wide walls" ... what does your 63 look like ? picture ?

Clint

Thanks Andy. That was a sweet trip to NCM. Didn't see any "wide walls" ... what does your 63 look like ? picture ?

Clint

As she sleeps at home without passenger side mirror, 10mm Michelins:

Drivers.jpg

How do you like my new desktop wallpaper?:D

DesktopSmall.jpg

Kinda like my carport, needs a good cleanup!:chuckle

Good way to start the week.

Thanks,

Andy

Had mine out today for a short ride around the block. First time it's been out of the Garage since April. Still runs.

I was hoping to get the '81 out tomorrow for a warm-up run but it's looking like the weather is going to turn bad. Maybe Monday will work out.

I doubt if I put 20 miles on my Corvette last year. Last year I built a replica 1965 AC Cobra. It's much faster, gets better gas milage, rides better, handles better, more fun and I don't care if it gets a rock chip or gets dirty. Plus, the local Cobra club members don't have the "attitude" that alot of Corvette people have. Don't get me wrong, I still love Corvette's (I've owned 15), but if you've never driven a Cobra, you'll never know what I'm talking about.

What Cobra did you build?

Tom

The reason I decided to build a Cobra was that Corvette projects were priced out of this world. I mean, $40K for a project car that would be worth $45K after a complete restoration, please. After 15 years of research, I bought a Hurricane Motorsports Cobra. I built a 351W that dynos at 420HP & 410TQ with a Tremec 5 speed. Total weight is 2300 lbs. It's a rocket.

I can see why you built that kit. It has to be one of the best engineered ones I've seen from going over the web site. I like that the frame offers some decent cockpit protection. I went on the Shelby plant tour a few years ago when we were in Las Vegas. The Series 1 was still in production then but the Cobra area was just awesome. Imagine a large wall with floor to ceiling racks filled with new aluminum Cobra bodies.

Anyway, your point of the cost of buying and then restoring or rebuilding a Corvette for the street is well taken. Good affordable projects are hard to come by and our cars are getting worth so much it's just not that easy to use them every day. We drove the '81 more this year than over the past few years combined but it was still not as much as I wanted. I miss the days when I drove my Goodwood Green '67 427 coupe as a daily driver. Life was sweet. I think that this is one reason that so many Corvette owners have other special cars like Cobras and hot rods or custom trucks that they can drive without worry of damaging something irreplaceable (real steel old cars excepted).

My '59 has been a lifetime project that has been apart in one form or another since 1971. When I get it running again next year it will get driven a lot. It isn't good enough to consider doing an NCRS restoration on and I refuse to build a custom that's too nice to use regularly. It will be mostly correct with some creative license taken on the engine, wheels ect. I like the old race car look.

Tom

As long as it is clear and dry out I will drive my 66 at least once a month through the winter. Other than that I will drive the 98 or my Honda Ridgeline.

I drive the '64 every chance I get....the '60 is not done and just recently got the '63.

I have designated the '64 as my driver. Took it last year on the Hot Rod Power Tour. It needs suspension work and a few other things to make it ride and rive as nice as the '63 drives, but hey, it is my DRIVER!

I drive them quite infrequently now days, In fact for several years now. New, I beat the hell out of them. I thought thats what they were for, to pound on and go fast. The only thing around that gave a good Vette a hard time or even a bad time was a 427 Cobra. Fortunately there wasn`t too many of those on the road. My Dad even ordered one. Or he thought he did. The damn thing came is as a "Cobra" Mustang. . He got all his money back.when he asked me 'How would that do against a Vette' I said 'Not in a month of Sundays' ;LOL

The Vettes are treated with some respect and now the Camaros get the torturous red light matches. More fun beating a pump jockey with a pump jockey's style of toy. :upthumbs

Living in Southern California the cruising year is 10-11 months long. We have a local club AMYS (American Mid Year Society) and on a really good outing we have had 40-50 cars. You talk about bringing traffic to a stop and the thumbs up!!!!
:beer :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom