Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Custom Gauges installed FINALLY!

keith72 said:

Without writing an essay, anything you can share as far a part #s, cost, where you got em and any special mods you had to do would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not write an essay?, that takes all the fun out of it :L

Let's see, they are Auto Meter Ultra Light Pro Comp gauges. The center small gauges are the 2 1/16", and the speedo and tach are 5". Really no mods at all other than removing the stock rear housings and of course the wiring work on the center panel. They pretty much fit right in. I went ahead and put a drop of JB weld on the back side of each center gauge to keep them from wiggling loose.

The speedo and tach were a bigger challenge. I reused the plastic gauge housing from the stock units. I then made a 3/16" thick aluminum donut type plate to go around the body of the gauge and rivet to the back side of the stock housing. I later had to put 1" aluminum spacer plates between the donut and the gauge to move them closer to the driver (they were hitting the back of the dash).

Finally, the speedo came with a conversion unit that I had to simply screw onto the trans where the stock cable screws on along with wiring a power, ground, and signal wire back to the gauge.

I bought mine from Summit Racing, about $680 (including a $80 fuel pressure gauge not needed if you are running a carb, and should be substituted with a matching clock).

How is that?

Thanks for the help. I priced those around and I think it will be worth the cost. They are cool.

NICE WORK 69! I really like the white gauge faces! My stock gauges, especially the tach with the black bkgrd is real hard to see on the fly. I had to forget shifting with the tach and use the seat-of-the-pants method. Now you've got me thinkin of another project! -Dave

Where'd the pics go?

I think someone got cute and took off the gauge pictures and put in pics of someone's arthoscopic knee surgery! Where'd the pics go? I remember seeing them a while back, now they're gone...

Just wondering because it's time for me to get new gauges too! woo hoo...

Imran - 74 Convt

Re: Where'd the pics go?

Imran said:
I think someone got cute and took off the gauge pictures and put in pics of someone's arthoscopic knee surgery! Where'd the pics go? I remember seeing them a while back, now they're gone...

Just wondering because it's time for me to get new gauges too! woo hoo...

Imran - 74 Convt

Every once in a while, Rob cleans house and deletes thread attachments.

I have those pics on my home computer.

Which ones were you most interested in?

This is the bezel I made out of aluminum to allow the new gauge to rest in the stock housing. It cradles the body of the gauge and allows for the Autometer Gauge bracket to be installed on the back side.

The center gauges just more or less fell into place. Really no trick work here at all.

I used the hole in the console for the clock time adjustment for my alarm light LED.

69myway

Where did you get the white face gauges?
How much?

VERY, VERY COOL :cool :beer

Re: 69myway

Corvette Craig said:
Where did you get the white face gauges?
How much?

VERY, VERY COOL :cool :beer

I bought them from Summit as they are Autometer Pro Comp ultra lites.

They are actually silver faced.

The whole package including the FUEL PRESSURE gauge (which most people don't need) was about $600.

69MYWAY

Thanks for replying.
You've given me another CORVETTE UPGRADE DREAM, and just ONE more reason I need to win the lottery.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom