Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dag Nabbed Trailing Arm Shims.

yello80vette

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige Corvette
The trailing arm shims need replaced in my 1980. I bought the shims a few years back but just haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. Any time I've looked for advice for installing new ones all I've ever found is everyone saying to "Just measure the width as it is and replace them to the same measurements". My problem is that the old shims have rusted so badly that they have disintegrated into dust and therefore each side is different. I need to know if anyone can help by advising me what measurements I could use to install new shims from scratch or any other advice they could give me.:ugh

about the best thing to do is use equal shims on each side of the arms just to get it to the allighnment shop

I replaced the shims in my 69. It was a tedious job but I got it done. To replace the entire set of shims I recommend releasing the trailing arms from the spring because when you remove the bolt from the front bushing you will have to fight with the arm. I used the stainless steel slotted set for ease of installation. After you remove the old shims, you replace the bolt and nut (install new ones) then you can match the stacks you removed and slide the new ones in. Removing those bolts will be your biggest hurdle. You will probably have to lightly tap the second set in on each side because it should be a fairly tight fit. Replace the giant cotter pin and then you should have no problem driving it to an alignment shop. The shop tech will appreciate the slotted shims because he does not have to remove the bolt to make adjustments. Even though I matched the stacks exactly he still had to make a small adjustment on each side to get it to factory specs. Luckily, I thought ahead and took the rest of the shims with me.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom