Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Damn

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I just deleted the entire transmission differences thread......$%^&^%%^%^#$^%^*&$*:r :r :r :r :mad :mad

;stupid ;stupid ;stupid

• Admin
the topic of the thread was what are the differences between the 6-speed manual trans and rear end used in the ZR-1, LT1 and LT4 powered Vettes.

I can't believe I deleted that whole thread....somebody take me out to pasture and shoot me......:r

• Admin
I feel really bad. I'm ****ed that I deleted that thread. :(

Anyway....you should be all set. I fixed it for you. If you go into your Control Panel and Edit Options, you should see an option "Show vB Code". That should be set to YES.

WOW that was quick... I was in the middle of reading your thread on the smiley fix in the proving grounds forum, went back and edited my post, so I wouldn't look like a dumb a__ and you had already fixed it.... THANKS!!!:duh

There was no need for any diff. The ZF transmission was a strong unit used in all three, the Dana 44 was the same in all also.
All 6 spds in the C4 had a 3.45:1 final drive.
vettepilot

Yes you are correct on the final drive ratio for 89/90, thank you, I stand corrected. The input shaft I'll have to research via part number to see. When I went through the factory in the early 90s the 6 spds were all sitting along the side waiting to be programmed into the line. But they all looked the same, I don't recall if they had different codes or not.
Thanks for keeping the info factual.
vettepilot

Rob said:
the topic of the thread was what are the differences between the 6-speed manual trans and rear end used in the ZR-1, LT1 and LT4 powered Vettes.

I can't believe I deleted that whole thread....somebody take me out to pasture and shoot me......:r

The rear axles from 90-up, regardless of engine are the same...Dana 44, 3.45 to 1 with limited-slip. Previous to 1990, D44 ratios were 3.07, 3.33 and 3.54 but none of those were used in production cars with L1s, LT4s or LT5s. All were either used with L98s or nonproduction LT5s.

All ZR-1, ZF S6-40s have an input shaft that is 1/2-in longer than ZFs used in LT1/4 cars. This is because the LT5 is half-an-inch shorter than small-block V8s.

All 89-93.5 ZFs have a 450 lb/ft input torque rating. All 93.5-96 ZFs have a 400 lb/ft. input torque rating. The internal differences causing the torque rating decrease are gears with a larger helix angle which, added to reduce transmission noise.

All 89-94 ZFs have a reverse lockout. All 95 and 96 ZFs have the so-called "crash-through" reverse. There is no lock-out but the detent spring pressure was increased.

Those are the differences.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom