Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Danica Patrick may switch to NASCAR -- and still race in Indy 500

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
Danica Patrick's days as an IndyCar driver may not be coming to a complete end after all. Even if she becomes a full-time NASCAR driver as expected, she may still take part in the biggest IndyCar race of them all.

Patrick reportedly is in the final stages of a deal to run a full-time Nationwide Series schedule as a part of JR Motorsports as well as compete in limited Sprint Cup Series races for the team owned by Tony Stewart. Those talks include a plan to allow her to continue racing in the Indianapolis 500, the Associated Press reported, citing an unnamed source.

JR Motorsports co-owner Kelley Earnhardt has said it would be tough for Patrick to compete for a Nationwide championship if she runs in the Indianapolis 500, which requires drivers to spend much of May at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. NASCAR had three Nationwide races during that span this year.

Patrick, who finished third at the Indianapolis 500 in 2009, has one career IndyCar victory and is ranked 11th in the series standings. She is winless in 19 career Nationwide races, but JR Motorsports co-owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. says she's "way ahead of the curve" as a NASCAR driver.

"I would like for her to run full time, and I'm sure she is considering that, and I think she would enjoy it,” Earnhardt said at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "I feel confident that she's content where she is and happy with what we're doing. I think things are looking positive for us to put something together."

Stewart has also expressed interest in working with Patrick in the Sprint Cup Series.

"Anybody that's got a Cup team that would have the availability would jump at the chance to do something with her," Stewart said in May. "You would be crazy not to entertain an offer like that and an opportunity for her to drive a race car for you."

www.lat.com

She's in demand because of the money she brings with her. Otherwise, why would an owner (even JR.) want someone with a lot of experience who runs midpack in really good machinery? There are young drivers already in Sprint Cup like Landon Cassel who can run midpack or better with with terrible cars for a fraction of the dollar contract. I'm not knocking Danica - she's trying to maximize her worth like ANY of us would.

She's in demand because of the money she brings with her. Otherwise, why would an owner (even JR.) want someone with a lot of experience who runs midpack in really good machinery? There are young drivers already in Sprint Cup like Landon Cassel who can run midpack or better with with terrible cars for a fraction of the dollar contract. I'm not knocking Danica - she's trying to maximize her worth like ANY of us would.
I think that she's trying to extend her career because it's almost over in Indycar.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom