Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DarkShark's weekend fun pictures: body repairs!

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Well, I've had some time lately to make some long needed repairs, mainly with respect to fit and finish.

The left fender had been rebonded back to the cowl and bonding strip along the birdcage along side of the door.

I also repaired the left side dog leg along the rocker panel. I figured I'd take care of it while I had the Evercoat on hand to do it.

Fender: Before
This isn't the best picture- but it does highlight the terrible fit between the fender and the rest of the car. This picture is from the previous spring.
IMG_0295.jpg

Poor previous repairs
When I pulled the fender loose from the bonding strips, I was amazed at how much panel adhesive was sitting between the cowl strips and the top of the fender. There must have been a 1/25 inch of adhesive. The fender would NEVER have sat right with that much space filled in with adhesive. It looked like someone had no clue how to repair fiberglass... or worse, they just didn't care.

Worse yet, a previous repair was made with only resin to reattach the upper portion of the fender back to the cowl. It came loose and snapped off. Not a problem- I'd just put it back together like it was supposed to have been done the first time.

It is also time to fix the ugly work done along the cowl bonding strip.

IMG_2507.jpg

Work in progress...
Once I chipped through all of the bonding adhesive- which was a lot I must say- I was able to get to work with repositioning the fender where it should have sat all along on the cowl and on the birdcage bonding strips.

Below is a test fit with all the pieces in place and no adhesive. Looks pretty good!

IMG_2510.jpg

Getting there- one day at a time
Bonded, repaired, scratch filled, sanded, and ready for 400 grit! Getting the curve just right along the repair was a challenge. I must have sanded and tweaked the amount of Evercoat a handful of times before I was happy with the results.

Anyway, at this rate I'll be ready for paint by spring!

IMG_2545.jpg

The other side for comparison...
The height of the hood will need to be adjusted, but overall it looks a lot better!

I'll still need to sand the car where the old pinstripe was. Someone put clear over the original pinstripe- ugh!

IMG_2546.jpg

That's looking really good, thanks for posting the pictures. I have to do the same exact thing to mine this coming spring and could use all the help I can get.

Looking good, Johnny. :thumb Keep the photos coming.

So, you're going back with silver paint, eh? Since it is the fastest color based on past CAC studies. :chuckle

:wJane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann! Yep... staying silver.

Truth be told, I did entertain the idea of repainting the car another color in the spring. I thought about going darker... like Rare81... with the charcoal metallic. I decided against it as the rest of the car still looks rather nice.

That's looking really good, thanks for posting the pictures. I have to do the same exact thing to mine this coming spring and could use all the help I can get.

Well, we've had really nice weather the last couple of days.

I decided to go ahead and touch up some blemishes here and there as well. Today, I primed it.

I also went out and bought some color and some clear. With any luck... I will be done BEFORE the cold weather hits again.

The base is on... WOW- does it pop!!!

:thumb

Pictures will be posted in a few days.

I thought about going darker... like Rare81... with the charcoal metallic. I decided against it as the rest of the car still looks rather nice......

I love the charcoal metallic on Rare81... but I think your silver beastie will look just fine! ;)

Looking forward to photos.

I love the charcoal metallic on Rare81... but I think your silver beastie will look just fine! ;)

Thanks Jane Ann!

Looking forward to photos.

I did the touch-up work in the driveway. The air was still and the temp was PERFECT.

One of my neighbors walked by with her daughter and said "Mommy what is that smell!". Her mom said "Paint sweetie". I think her mom was surprised that someone was painting a fender at home. You really don't see that very often these days in the suburbs- a paint gun, compressor, and the set up to do it. You really don't see something like that in the driveway of a person who would be otherwise known as a "white collar" guy- my neighbors see me leave every morning in suits and ties!

:chuckle

I used almost a pint of base to cover and blend the fender, hood, a couple other areas, and the surrounding places to get the right blending. I have two places I need to retouch... each smaller than a hair. I had something like a hair land on the paint in those two spots. I think it was one of mine... I blame the election and staying up past midnight for making me lose any hair!

;)

Yep... staying silver. It just didn't make sense to repaint the car in a different color given how little was really needed to bring out a nice finish.

This spring: new rear bumper cover. It is truly amazing what 28 years does to urethane.:chuckle

The clear didn't go on quite as well as I wanted. This is a re-learning process... I haven't painted a car in 10 years.

;)

Oh well... the fender repair looks great even through the orange peel in the clear. So, for now the paint is driver quality. I think I'll spend the winter prepping and then shoot again right before the spring and the pollen comes out to kill us all.

The best part of having my own paint guns and the rest of the tools to paint is that I can redo things as often as I want until the perfectionist in me is happy.

I'm thinking of buying one of these... looks like a good deal for a portable spray booth. I don't want to use my garage.

(No, not the Vette, but the shelter.)
83326_f260.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom