Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Darnit--Ram Clutch has got to go!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
:mad

I knew that the Ram clutch conversion was going to add drive train noise to the car. I can live with that. Heck, the flowmasters are so noisy at 45 MPH in high gear that I can't hear my self think anyway.

I have been having a heck of a time learning to drive the car with this clutch. I gave it nearly 1,000 miles before working it over from a dead start. Because it is a high friction clutch, it is either on or off, with very little transition.

Well, now I have a wicked shimmy shake during transition at low throttle speeds and or under a load. No problems after the clutch is realeased. I either bark the tires taking off, nearly stall it, or shimmy my way shaking my teeth loose for about 2 seconds across the intersection.

So, I called TPiS, and they referred me to RAM. The techs at RAM are very friendly. He identified my problem quickly. With 3.33 gears in the car and the general high ratio of first on the ZF trans, I am loading this thing (for a performance clutch) too much.

He said there is nothing I can do about it, and it will only get worse. In fact, it may eventually damaged the flywheel etc.

So, I can either put a set of 4.11 rear gears in the car, or toss the clutch in the garbage and put a stock style 4+3 clutch disc in the car.

:mad :mad :mad

What about the Centerforce Dual Friction with they're flywheel..

or a Star/Spec Clutch. I hear these are nice and it will be my next clutch.

I currently am running a Centerforce

Jeff,

Are you still running the dual mass flywheel?

I am not. I am also trying to keep my $$$$ down as the apple of my eye project is just now coming to life (I am dropping the big block in the 69 finally).

The fellows at www.exoticmuscle.com use the Centerforce with the single mass conversion.

I may just go back to plan B and sell the car before I kill myself trying to melt the wrench at both ends.

I spoke with Terry at TPiS. His suggestion is to go at least 3.73 gears. He feels that the loss in mpg will me minimal if any, and the increase in performance in conjunction with the miniram and other conversion already done to the car would be a real plus. As fast as the car is now, it is hard for me to imagine what it would be like to hit red line any earlier.

Hey, I have to raise my price now that I have a new set of tires.

Any takers at $9,800 as is (I will throw in the keyless entry still in the box!!!!), the stock motor, and any other left over parts I can find laying around!--you get to deal with the clutch

Nope I bought the Centerforce single mass flywheel and clutch assembly.. when I swapped the auto out for the 6spd.

That was 20K miles ago (5 years) I know I should replace the clutch but I have other things I need to finish first..

What are you motor specs for the 90?

I have the Miniram as well with a ZZ9 cam and I am staying with the 3.45 gearing right now. My car is very streetable...

Jeff, the car is very streetable (other than the little clutch irritation). I just talked to my buddy that builds gear boxes. He can hook me up with a better gear no worries. The RAM 900 clutch is an extreme high friction model. Anytime you go up in friction material (it is not an organic clutch), you go down in easy driving. He is going to get me some prices on spicer gears.

The least expensive fix would be to put an organic clutch in and be done with it.

Specs:

1990 Roller truck block .030
Edelbrock 64 cc heads
Crane 2050 LT1 hydraulic roller with type II cam button
Hyperutectic pistons 9.6:1 true compression
Erson 1.5 full roller rockers
mini ram
Headman headers
stock ignition
stock chip
3 wire O2
52mm TPis Throttle body

Chris - thanks for this string. I was talking myself into the 4+3 TPIS conversion or an Aluminum flywheel when I did my change out but the low buck way (staying with the stock flywheel and clutch) at first is probably the best route as they only have 10,000 miles on them. I have the 3.33 gear also. My transplant ZZ4/Mini Ram/52mmTB/ZZ409 Cam/TPIS Headers and Cat Back/TPIS Prom should be close to your specs.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

89ZZ4 said:
Chris - thanks for this string. I was talking myself into the 4+3 TPIS conversion or an Aluminum flywheel when I did my change out but the low buck way (staying with the stock flywheel and clutch) at first is probably the best route as they only have 10,000 miles on them. I have the 3.33 gear also. My transplant ZZ4/Mini Ram/52mmTB/ZZ409 Cam/TPIS Headers and Cat Back/TPIS Prom should be close to your specs.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

Hey 89ZZ4,

You are somewhat close to me.. same state at least.. I would love to see your car in person.. I am curious to see how the ZZ409 performs..

Route 66 Raceway

Route 66 in Joliet, IL opens for Test-and-Tune on April 14th (Sunday) http://www.chicagolandspeedway.com/rte66/event/frame.html
I'm gonna head there and take a few runs before I make my mods to benchmark my progress. Let me know if either of you are interested.

-JimS

Jeff I never made it to the show at McCormick due to my on-call schedule. How was it?

Phil, where are you at in Lockport? I'm in Pebble Creek, 143rd and Parker.

Re: Route 66 Raceway

JimS said:
Route 66 in Joliet, IL opens for Test-and-Tune on April 14th (Sunday) http://www.chicagolandspeedway.com/rte66/event/frame.html
I'm gonna head there and take a few runs before I make my mods to benchmark my progress. Let me know if either of you are interested.

-JimS

Jeff I never made it to the show at McCormick due to my on-call schedule. How was it?

Phil, where are you at in Lockport? I'm in Pebble Creek, 143rd and Parker.

Vettefest was like every other one.. I don't think you missed too much..

As for T&T at RT66.. I might be able to go there.. not sure if my car will pass tech.. it should.. I need to finish putting it back to together...

If either you or Phil are interested I am going to be wrenching on my vette this Sat.. it would be an hour drive to my house from Lockport but your welcome to come over..

Email me at jdebuhr@attbi.com for directions

Re: Benchracing...

-=Jeff=- said:
If either you or Phil are interested I am going to be wrenching on my vette this Sat.. it would be an hour drive to my house from Lockport but your welcome to come over...

Now why can't I find guys on the left coast that do things like that. :hb

_ken ;stupid

Re: Re: Re: Route 66 Raceway

Ken said:

Now why can't I find guys on the left coast that do things like that. :hb

_ken ;stupid
You can come over too Ken.. might be a little longer then an hour drive for you though :D

Thanks for the invite Jeff - IF IF IF the better half doesn't have anything planned for me I'd come up to see you. Jim - We're Neighbors! - I live in Twin Lakes (159th and Will Cook). The test and toon sounds nice but first I WANT the engine transplant done. I'm offending the purists by taking a 10K engine out BUT I've got this ZZ4 all done sitting on an engine stand since October last year and it's killing me to walk by everyday and see it. I heard from a devout vette purist that Vette Fest was down on attendance from the last one. I didn't go - had chores to do.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

KEN:
Now why can't I find guys on the left coast that do things like that.

I would just like to be back on the left coast again.
:cry

-Mike

69MyWay, I've got the Centerforce dual friction clutch/pressure plate set (they only come as a matched set) but a stock 4+3 flywheel. I'm still getting used to the clutch (WAY different than a turbo-4 Subaru :) ) but have no shudder at all. It grabs real close to the floor the way it's currently set; in fact, I had to take out my floormat because any time it got bunched under the pedal I'd grind gears.
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
69MyWay, I've got the Centerforce dual friction clutch/pressure plate set (they only come as a matched set) but a stock 4+3 flywheel. I'm still getting used to the clutch (WAY different than a turbo-4 Subaru :) ) but have no shudder at all. It grabs real close to the floor the way it's currently set; in fact, I had to take out my floormat because any time it got bunched under the pedal I'd grind gears.
[RICHR]

Did the clutch disc look normal? In other words, did it have material that went all the way around it continuous with little grooves? Is it organic?

The Ram has eight individual pads each kind of diamond shaped and seperated by a couple of inches. It is this way on both sides. It is also not a standard organic material.

I drove it home yesterday and it was smooth all the way. It is not always chattering, just when I get it in the right spot and keep it there to long. Soon as the clutch is out, it is solid gold.

Im running a Centerforce Dual Friction on mine as well, Im using the stock flywheel (but have had it shaved a bit)

I love this clutch lots of transition but when you want to say Speed (power) shift you can, I try not to. I would absolutly buy this clutch again.

I'm pleased to hear such good response to the Centerforce Dual Friction assembly; - that's what I'm installing in mine. ;)

_ken :w

I just can't catch a break with the clutch issue. I had a high dollar centerforce dual friction clutch in the V8 Fiero and could not get it to hook. I even took it out, mailed it back to Centerforce. They tested it and verified it was in good working order.

The clutch I got for the 69 is a straight up street clutch by Quatermaster. Nothing exotic or unusual.

One thing I wanted to add on the Centerforce Clutch..

The one I am using has a Sprung Hub on the disc and the Flywheel the the single mass unit from Centerforce. it is quiet with some gear noise whent he motor is running and the trans is in Neutral..

I am very happy with it

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my clutch. Planned on doing it a bit later, but slipping she is when going 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I've lost the 2nd to 3rd scratch...Irritating...:cry

I've only been a Vette owner since August, so don't have much experience modifying yet. But plan to over the next few years. :J
Starting with bolt ons and going "inside" when I have to or get a reasonably good excuse.:beer

Anyway, this is my excuse for the engine to tranny interface. I've go the 6 speed, 77K+ miles on it.

I want it to remain very streetable, so planned on the Centerforce Dual Friction. I'd like to get a single mass flywheel while I'm in there. (Actually, I'll have to have it done. No time. :t)

Questions on Clutch work.

What is a good choice for a flywheel?
What else should I do while it's apart?

Additional questions:

How long before tranny work is normally required?
Any recommendations for a source for rebuilt tranny? (I'd like to have the parts cryo treated, if possible.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick (Ira)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom