Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Darnit--Ram Clutch has got to go!

Re: Re: Benchracing...

Ken said:

Now why can't I find guys on the left coast that do things like that. :hb

Hermosa Beach isn't that far from Costa Mesa.

Ray

Save the wave.

69MyWay said:

Did the clutch disc look normal? In other words, did it have material that went all the way around it continuous with little grooves? Is it organic?

I honestly don't know what material it's made of. As for looking "normal", I've only ever seen one other clutch disc to compare it to :) . The material did, as I remember, go all the way around but there were radial grooves from the center out. I think the installation brochure has pix, I can try to dig it up (I should still have it).

[RICHR]

IraPlayer said:

What else should I do while it's apart?

Rick (Ira)

My mechanic recommended rear main seal, oil pan gasket, clutch fork and pivot, and slave cylinder. This was for an older car with more mileage, so I'm not sure what would apply to the 6-speed, but they're something to ask about, at least. On my car, all the above but the rear main seal needed replacement; we did the seal anyway because it was $30 in parts and pretty much no labor.
[RICHR]

Re: Re: Re: Benchracing...

rjsmith said:
Hermosa Beach isn't that far from Costa Mesa.

I visited your site once before Ray, and the thought crossed my mind to try to get in touch with you someday. ;)

_ken :w

Re: Re: Re: Re: Benchracing...

Ken said:

I visited your site once before Ray, and the thought crossed my mind to try to get in touch with you someday. ;)

_ken :w

Anytime you want to do anything involving Corvettes just give me a call. I'll send contact information in an email.

Save the wave.

Ray

IraPlayer said:
Centerforce Dual Friction. I'd like to get a single mass flywheel while I'm in there. (Actually, I'll have to have it done. No time. :t)

Questions on Clutch work.

What is a good choice for a flywheel?
What else should I do while it's apart?

Additional questions:

How long before tranny work is normally required?
Any recommendations for a source for rebuilt tranny? (I'd like to have the parts cryo treated, if possible.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick (Ira)

Rick,

It appears people are having good luck with the Centerforce. I know that www.exoticmuscle.com sells the single mass with Centerforce disc and the long pivot arm that you need. You can use a stock 1987-1988 Corvette standard shift single mass flywheel in your car. Do not use any older as it will be balanced wrong. This is the most reliable and inexpensive way to go. You can get an aluminum flywheel for big bucks from TPiS.

As far as trans work goes, you might just need to ask around in your local area. I have a guy here that is an expert with gears of any type. Look on the market place. Supernatural 400 has a ZF from ZR1 for sale that needs some tinkering, but would provide some spare parts for you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom