Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Dash install made easy

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
We all know how painful taking out and putting in the midyear dash cluster can be. How many years do some of us drive with blown cluster lights, turn lights, speedometer troubles etc. We all avoid fixing them if we can .

I am reinstalling my 66 cluster, (3 time in 2 months) (fix one thing and something else breaks) new dash harness, the works. I began thinking about what the main problem is .. Well we all know that putting in the cluster lights is the problem..... All sixteen wires are too short. Someone jokingly said in a recent post on cluster installation, that if the wires were longer things would be easer.

Attaching the gages and switches is easy. It is the lights that kill you. Assuming you remove the steering column to give you room to work.

Well it was 5 degrees today and I decided to try something. I took my new dash harness and sat by the fire, spent 2 hours splicing in 5 inches of color coded wire to each light. I used solder connections, not crimps. It is important to make all the wire extentions the same length ( 4 or 5 inches ) no matter original length of bulb wire, so that you can plug all the lights in with the dash parallel to the console with 4 or more inches of easy working room to plug away. You could also install your tach cable if you had disconnected it from you distributor. Just lube the grommet and pull housing cable to cluster. Not as easy for speed cable unless you have disconnected it from transmission.

Put harness in car, put dash on my knees, face down, bottom facing firewall or ( you can use support rods screwed into console )(see photos in post down this thread) , plugged in all the lights without a problem. Gently turned dash up and into position, screwed in dash screws.

Got on my back, plugged in switch's , gauges and oil gauge , speed and tack cable. Job was very smooth. No cut hands. GM mass produced the car and much of the assembly was done in stages with better access to areas. Harness attached to cluster on bench.

Maybe it is time for the "Harness Manufactures" to make an ""Easy Custom Harness" with longer length wires for the thousands of corvette owners who drive and fix their cars. We don't want the " Original " it was and is, not good for service. We want a modern update that will allow us to continue to enjoy our cars. This will encourage the changing of dash harnesses because of the ease of installation. Corvette owners will be happier with lights and gauges working . Cars will be safer with new wires. Car owners can choose between " Exact Reproduction "" or "" Easy Install Harness ""

If you are thinking about dash work, the longer wires may make your task less painful. I did it and it works great.

Jack
Jack View attachment 18952

View attachment 18953

View attachment 18954

"We all know how painfully taking out and putting in the midyear dash cluster can be. How many years do some of us drive with blown cluster lights, turn lights, speedometer troubles etc. We all avoid fixing them if we can ."

Guilty! My odometer quit working last summer.

If and when I pull my cluster, I will do that.

Smart move. :thumb

I'm suprised that the repro harness makers haven't picked up on this by now. '58-'62s are no fun either. I need to pull my tach for recalibration and have been putting it off for years. I was a lot more limber the last time I took the cluster out 38 years ago.

Tom

I like the idea of extending the bulb wires but you guys do know about the 1/4x20 long bolt trick to keep the cluster in place while you fumble with the lights? I just farted with the cluster on the '65 with these extensions and it wasn't too bad. My real problem is figuring out which light bulb goes where BECAUSE there's little room for error and they're all custom cut.

Make all the extentions the same length

View attachment 18978

View attachment 18979
I like the idea of extending the bulb wires but you guys do know about the 1/4x20 long bolt trick to keep the cluster in place while you fumble with the lights? I just farted with the cluster on the '65 with these extensions and it wasn't too bad. My real problem is figuring out which light bulb goes where BECAUSE there's little room for error and they're all custom cut.

I have attached photos of the support bolts. As you can see lots of room. Make all the wire extentions (5" )the same length, no matter original length of bulb wire, so that you can plug all in while cluster is on the supports. Also lengthen the amp, fuel and water temp gauge wires 4 inches. Plug all in and move dash in. All gray are cluster lights other 3 are headlight, parking and hight beam.

You can plug all lights in while cluster is face down resting on bottom two support bolts. Cover bolts to prevent scratching cluster. After all are plugged in gently rotate cluster up and put in top three support bolts thru cluster . Push in cluster from below to watch that all wires are in place. Remove support bolts one at a time and replace with reg dash screws. Attach tach, speed and oil gauge, igninition and light sockets. Turn key and off you go.

It took me 15 mininits to install cluster. 1/2 hour to put back steering wheel etc.

Please see my new post
"Custom Easy Install Harness" on this forum

Jack

Now that is cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom