Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash Pad Care

96corvetteLT4

Corvette
White '96 LT4 Coupe
I have a question about dash pad care. The problem I have is that the edge of the pad around the windshield vents in the center is starting to curl upward. Is there a way that I can get it back straight like it should be, or at least stop it from curling further? I have read here about using vinyl protectant and leather protectant on the dash, which is best? I have also heard about using plain vaseline to treat a vinyl dash and soften it. Any recommendations or comments are welcome.

I'm thinking that you have a heating problem with the sun, I don't know that vasoline would help (petroleum product on plastic/vinyl)I'm believing you'll have to get some professional help to get the curls out, perhaps some others have recommendations on conditioners, I use Meguires....

V..rroom said:
I use Meguires....
Let's revive this thread because I've been wondering just what the best cleaner/treatment one can use on the early dash pads (mine's an '87).

Which Meguiar's product do you use? :confused

I don't have the curling problem, nor do I really have any discoloration problems, but I figured it's always best to know what the best treatment for preserving its appearance is. ;)

I don't have a solution for the damage that has occured. I recall from my 93 that the gasket at the base of the window was cracking quite a bit. I use to put 303 on it via a q-tip. This may revive the material for you.

Some key products with high UV protection are:

Lexol's Vinylex great, but a gloss finish if not given a good wipe down. Pep Boys prob. Auto Zone
www.lexol.com

303 Aerospace, great for all uses nice matte finish.

http://www.303products.com/main.php

Most likely will need to order.

I've seen the 303 products before, but haven't tried them yet. Thanks for the heads-up. :upthumbs

Does anyone know what the material is that covers the dash pad? Is it a just a hard vinyl material, or something else I should be aware of?

Where's the Detailing Dude when you need him? :L

In answer to my own question I guess... :L
All About Vinyl

303 Products on Vinyl

An enlarged sideview of common vinyl fabric would show raw PVC (polyvinyl chloride) covered by a thin layer of plastic called the "topcoat". The topcoat is the part of the vinyl you can see and touch. To keep vinyl fabric soft and flexible, manufacturers add agents known as plasticizers to the raw PVC. A major function of the topcoat is to hold in these plasticizers, which otherwise would quickly evaporate. If the topcoat is damaged or degraded, plasticizers begin to escape leading to embrittlement, cracking, or failure.

Protecting the topcoat, then, is the most crucial aspect of properly maintaining vinyl, and the subject with which vinyl manufacturers are most concerned. Vinyl manufacturers agree on and recommend the following.

General Cleaning
Never use household cleaners, powdered or other abrasives, steelwool or industrial cleaners, dry cleaning fluids, solvents (petroleum distillates), bleach or detergents. Use a medium-soft brush, warm soapy water (such as Ivory soap), rinse with cool water then dry.

Mildew Stains
To kill the bacteria creating the mildew, use a medium-soft brush and vigorously brush the stained area with a 4 to 1 mixture of water and ammonia; rinse with cool water.

Tough Mildew Stains
Apply a mixture of one(1) teaspoon ammonia, one-fourth(1/4) cup hydrogen peroxide and three-fourths(3/4) cup of distilled water; rinse with cool water. Note: All cleaning methods must be followed by a thorough rinse with water.

Obviously abrasives should never be used on vinyl. Petroleum distillates are a universal "no-no" for both vinyl and rubber. Waxes should never be used on vinyl because (a) Most waxes contain petroleum distillates, (b) Wax is a build-up product, holding in the heat absorbed from the sun and accelerating heat damage.

Virtually all vinyl manufacturers agree that no type of oil should be used on vinyl. Silicone oil vinyl treatments should not be used for several reasons; 1) Silicone oil formulations typically attack the vinyl topcoat, 2) Silicone oil formulations usually contain no effective UV screening ingredients, 3) Silicone oil formulations are build-up products which accelerate heat damage, 4) Silicone oil formulations are greasy and oily, attract dust, and soil more quickly. READ THE LABEL! Product directions suggesting more than one coat for better cosmetic enhancement are build-up products and are recommended against by vinyl manufacturers.

There are many automotive uses for 303, it's good stuff and rates high on my detailing list.

303 Aerospace Protectant is the choice for me. You'll commonly find it in boater's supply stores, such as Boater's World or West Marine. Typically about $20 for a 32 oz. spray bottle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom