Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash Turn Signal bulb replacement?

D

drq1980

The left dash blinker works, but the right dash blinker does not. Its very annoying when I forget it is on and drive 20 minutes signalling a right hand turn. All the lights work except the one bulb for right dash blinker.
Question is how hard is it to replace the bulb? I assume the Speedo/Tach bezel is removed. The housing is unscrewed but then what? Is this a major job or is the bulb fairly easy to locate and install? Anyone with some prior experiance would be appreciated.

"#34 on the endless list of tiny repairs..."
"if my corvette was ever 100% I would wrap it in cotton and never drive it":chuckle

1) Take the tach/speedo bezel off.
2) Remove the tach/ speedo cover plate to expose the bulbs
3) They are recessed about 3" so you will need some flexible tube to be able to grab them...
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY, they just PUSH IN and come out.DO NOT turn them.
I just replaced mine on my '79.I replaced both blinkers,high beam, and emer. brake lights so I wont have to see them for a long while again.
One little tip is to put a towel between the bezel and your screwdriver so that you don't scratch it.:upthumbs....And I hear you about the endless list....Mine is like a fine lady...HIGH MAINTENANCE, but fun to play with:)

If you can weasel your hand up behind the dash you can get them there too. 77 and earlier that's how you get them- no access from the face.

Tim, it looks like he's got an '82 so there's not a chance in hell in getting your hand back there....There are only sockets connected to a circuit board with NO wires attached....That's why I said to push the bulb in and don't turn them....I did that and the socket fell behind the cluster....:mad.....A changed light bulb turned into a dropped steering wheel and a cluster removal with the quickness....Oh well, live and learn and share so someone else doesn't make that mistake.

Dash Blinker Bulb Mission Accomplished

Looks like there is no coming up under the dash board in late model C3's.

But the bulb replacement was pretty easy.
:hb
1. Unscrew the 5 LENS attachment screws. 1 each side and 3 along top. Note there are 3 screw bolt heads along the top also. You may need to loosen or remove if they interfere with removing the lens.
2. Remove the lens off the odometer reset switch and lift away from the steering column. Set Aside.
3. Remove the 6 Hex bolts along the face of the speedometer and tach.
(I believe they match the fake ones on the center column gauges but trust me they are real.)
4. Pull away the thin faceplate and set aside.
5. You now see this lovely hospital green plastic housing with the bulbs in question. see link below.
Picasa Web Albums - Scott
6. Using a piece of rubber hose (Thanks Jeffn!!) Actually the large hose in a headlight repair vacuum kit works PERFECT... Stick it in till it grips the bulb and pull it out. Trickier to put back in, but if you barely stick the new bulb onto the end of the tube and crimp the tube,you can fiddle the bulb back in the socket and give it a push. Uncrimp tube and it will pull out without pulling the bulb out. (Learned that playing with headlights problems...LOL)
7. Confirm new bulbs work and replace the faceplate, 6 hex nuts, lens and 5 screws and you are done! see below:
Picasa Web Albums - Scott

Thanks all for the help. Very easy to replace the turn signal, high beam and Generator light. I saw the actual instrument light bulbs behind the speedometer and tach. Would be trickier to reach, but definately a doable job if ever needed.

Hope the link helps fix a few more hesistant no turn signal 77-82 C3 owners. If all the fixes were this easy, everyone would own a Corvette...:cool

Good job!...You mentioned the tach/speedo bulbs.....The only way to get at them is to take the tach/speedo cluster right out and undo the sockets from behind. You can't get them through the face plate side....That's a 20 minute removal job.....4 steering wheel column bolts(drop the steering wheel at firewall and knees), and the 5 tach/speedo screws that you removed (3 top, 2 ea. side)..Remove the little plate under the column(4 screws) and then the a/c duct...Pull the cluster out enough to disconnect the speedo cable , take out the cluster and you've just opened up a new world of interestingness....Anyway, all of the bulbs are totally accessable once that thing is out.20 minutes back in and you are enlightened.:thumb

jeffn you are correct- I forgot they changed the style of the dash in 78. Sorry for the interruption. I'd rather take a bath in diesel fuel than pull a dash apart.:puke

jeffn you are correct- I forgot they changed the style of the dash in 78. Sorry for the interruption. I'd rather take a bath in diesel fuel than pull a dash apart.:puke
You and me both brother ! Like anything else though, once you do it a couple times, it's cake....I just replaced the canceling springs for my directionals.:eek:hnoes That was the first time I've ever had a column apart, but I'll tell you something...If I had to do it again , I could do it blindfolded.....2 springs and a c-retainer cost me $11.45 but the experience was priceless....BTW, my blinkers cancel again. :thumb

One more tip...Buy one of those dash lightbulb kits from one of the mail order companies and replace all of your 30 plus year dash lights.It would sure suck to get the job done and have another light go out and have to take it apart again.

Wamart Bulbs

When I noticed they sell 194 bulbs at Walmart I stocked up....90% of the interior and dash lights are 194 size.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom