Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dated Windshield Glass

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Today I placed an order for dated windshield glass, and am supposed to provide the date info tomorrow.

I had written down the numbers from my original windshield before removing it. But when I got home today and looked for the paper..... you guessed it, it's gone. I must've inadvertantly thrown it out when on a cleaning spree. Man! When it rains, it pours. :ugh

Thanks to replies here in CAC, it was determined that my Vette's birthdate is December 20th, 1968 ( http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93765 ). Given that information, is there any way to determine what date was on the windshield?

I have a gut feeling that I'm S.O.L. as far as complete accuracy is concerned.

I'm not typically a numbers-guy, but jeez I wrote down them down and actually wanted the glass to be the same (no particular reason, really).

Thanks for any input.

Ralph

You might want to check your calculated build date against the date on the trim tag just to be sure. Errors have occurred.

Having the glass dated a month prior would be typical, up to a year prior is acceptable in NCRS Flight judging.

I believe that your solution is easy and cheap. Just buy the Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide from the ncrs boys at www.ncrs.org (click on the store logo and then your year) and it will tell you what the codes were supposed to be. Then you look at your car's birthday and then choose the correct code for the time frame you are looking at. Then you contact OEM Glass and give them the information for a manufactured piece of glass that is correct.

Gary

Thanks Guys.

OEM Glass is the company I purchased the glass from last week. They already figured out the time frame date based on my car's build date.

Since they have the windshield in stock, it should only take a couple of weeks to complete the date coding process. They're sending the windshield directly to the glass shop.

I placed an order with Corvette Rubber last week for weatherstrips and clips for the windshield install. Hopefully, I'll get it this week -- and then the dated windshield "soon."

I didn't know you could buy windshields with a "date of your choosing" stamped on it. You learn something new everyday :dance .

Just to be sure, am I to understand that if you need to replace your windshield you can order a new one from certain manufacturers with any type of coding/stamp you want on it so that it looks like it was installed as the original that came with the car???

Good info to know in case one encounters windshield trauma :cool .

Thanks for the post.

>

I didn't know you could buy windshields with a "date of your choosing" stamped on it. You learn something new everyday :dance .

Just to be sure, am I to understand that if you need to replace your windshield you can order a new one from certain manufacturers with any type of coding/stamp you want on it so that it looks like it was installed as the original that came with the car???

Good info to know in case one encounters windshield trauma :cool .

Thanks for the post.

>

Yup, just call Dale at OEM Glass in Chenoa, Illinois, (800) 283-2122, and he'll take care of you; not cheap. :)

Yup, just call Dale at OEM Glass in Chenoa, Illinois, (800) 283-2122, and he'll take care of you; not cheap. :)

You can also speak with Chuck at the same number.

The cost for a 1969 windshield with the green glass and blue tinting, with the date and code was $499. Compare that with the same non-dated windshield for approx $140.

OEM is backed-up for up to 8 weeks due to the huge number of orders from folks getting their cars prepped for spring car shows!

Beware the repro windshield differs from OEM.

FYI:

There is a logo on the OEM glass that is sandwiched between the two glass panels. I'm told the repro glass has the logo etched on the interior of the glass and can be felt with your fingers. My information comes from NCRS.

FYI:

There is a logo on the OEM glass that is sandwiched between the two glass panels. I'm told the repro glass has the logo etched on the interior of the glass and can be felt with your fingers. My information comes from NCRS.

Are you kidding? What the heck is someone supposed to do if their original windshield gets broken? So, I guess it's better to drive around with a broken windshield just for the sake of being original. Now, wouldn't that look cool. :eyerole

This type of thinking is precisely why I don't get caught up in the numbers game. :crazy

Here's some info on how OEM Glass goes through the process
http://www.oemglass.net/date_coding_gallery2.html

OEM Glass, Inc. was originally started over 20 years ago as a source for the Corvette market in supplying reproduction auto glass with original LOF markings and date codes. They are the only company in the U.S. with a complete set of blueprints, starting at print #1. All glass patterns are produced from this original set of blueprints. By having the blue prints, O.E.M. Glass can assure the customer of an accurate fit. These blueprints were made by N.A.G.S. (National Auto Glass Services). This company was the official glass pattern supplier for all auto manufacturers. Still, to this day, all glass part numbers are assigned by N.A.G.S. They have been major supplier to the classic and collector car industry all over the world since 1983.

If this isn't good enough for NCRS, oh well... If if in fact it is acceptable to NCRS, what's your point? Jeez.

If this isn't good enough for NCRS, oh well... If if in fact it is acceptable to NCRS, what's your point? Jeez.

Regular everyday replacement glass gets a big deduct. OEM dated coded glass gets a small deduct. Original glass gets no deduct, assuming it's in good condition.

It's up to the purchaser to decide whether it's worth the extra money or not.

Regular everyday replacement glass gets a big deduct. OEM dated coded glass gets a small deduct. Original glass gets no deduct, assuming it's in good condition.

It's up to the purchaser to decide whether it's worth the extra money or not.

Fair enough.

I just wanted you to be aware of the differences so you wouldn't be surprised like so many of us have. There is nothing worse than spending the "extra" money to purchase something that is supposed to be like OEM only to find out it has subtle differences that can be detected on the judging field. As Vettehead Mikey said, dated, coded, glass will take a smaller deduct than replacement glass.

Good luck.

I've etched VIN #s on glass myself - it was trivial and compared to that cost difference it cost practically nothing. Put any date code you want on it!

I've etched VIN #s on glass myself - it was trivial and compared to that cost difference it cost practically nothing. Put any date code you want on it!

It's not that simple. Replacement windshields have a completely different manufacturer's logo and coding on them than the originals had; OEM glass buys their windshields from the manufacturer with NO logo or coding of any kind on the glass, and adds the entire logo and coding themselves. There is no VIN coding on an original windshield.

:beer

It's not that simple. Replacement windshields have a completely different manufacturer's logo and coding on them than the originals had; OEM glass buys their windshields from the manufacturer with NO logo or coding of any kind on the glass, and adds the entire logo and coding themselves. There is no VIN coding on an original windshield.

Brushing some acid on a template and wiping it off w/ water after a few seconds to leave whatever you want etched on such as numbers, VINs, dates, or whatever is, well, to me anyway, kinda trivial. As usual your mileage may vary as to how sophisticated this is.;shrug

Nobody here ever said there was a "VIN coding on an original [C3] windshield" did they? ;shrug I guess I kinda sort goofed and thought that using the reference as an example would have been obvious. Allow me to clarify: It was an example of a common application of a trivial technology.

"There is no VIN coding on an original windshield". Is or was?

For those who follow exhaustive 'rule books' created for the purpose of adding or deleting points or demerits or whatever as to correct or original glass: the presence of a trivial (IMHO) date code is considered SEPARATE from and REGARDLESS of whether or not there is a correct or incorrect logo on the glass in question. :bowrofl

Now that's not to say that the correct (or incorrect) logo is really important and has a significant role in selecting a replacement windshield for a C3. Perhaps you could enlighten us a bit? What would the difference be in overal points or %s or determinations or whatever in comparing per the rule book, 2 brand new windshields. To keep things simple apples to apples both w/ correct dates codes, only difference: one has a correct logo and the other has an incorrect (modern) logo...?

Perhaps you could enlighten us a bit? What would the difference be in overal points or %s or determinations or whatever in comparing per the rule book, 2 brand new windshields. To keep things simple apples to apples both w/ correct dates codes, only difference: one has a correct logo and the other has an incorrect (modern) logo...?

The poster asked a reasonable question, and I answered it as concisely as I could. In spite of your usual negative, childish, immature, and rambling response, I'll answer your question too.

The windshield is allocated 30 originality points, and there are four standard deduction levels, depending on its degree of deviation from the appearance of the original factory-installed windshield:

If only the date is incorrect (more than a year prior to the car's build date), deduct 15%.

If it's the OEM brand (LOF), but is a later replacement style (different logo style and configuration), deduct 25%.

If it's a non-OEM brand replacement, deduct 50%.

If it's tinted, and the tint pattern is excessive or incorrect, deduct 90%.

Additional deductions may be taken for condition issues (cracks, pitting, deep scratches, etc.).

Always glad to help. :)

In spite of your usual negative, childish, immature, and rambling response, I'll answer your question too.

Gee thanks. :upthumbs

The windshield is allocated 30 originality points, and there are four standard deduction levels, depending on its degree of deviation from the appearance of the original factory-installed windshield:

If only the date is incorrect (more than a year prior to the car's build date), deduct 15%.

If it's the OEM brand (LOF), but is a later replacement style (different logo style and configuration), deduct 25%.

If it's a non-OEM brand replacement, deduct 50%.

If it's tinted, and the tint pattern is excessive or incorrect, deduct 90%.

Additional deductions may be taken for condition issues (cracks, pitting, deep scratches, etc.).

Since you didn't say, we can only presume there are also condition points. 25? 30? Per the question a NEW windshield regardless of source should receive the full condition points (whatever they are) right?

Let's try again: So how many TOTAL points does a BRAND NEW OEM glass windshield get? And how many TOTAL points does a BRAND NEW replacement windshield get WITH JUST THE CORRECT DATE CODE? :confused

And how many points for the entire car? :confused

Always glad to help.

"your usual negative, childish, immature, and rambling response" - is that kind of commentary really 'helpfull'? :eyerole

Gentlemen, let us remain... gentlemen. :nono

I've been busy of late (don't ask!) so I'm not sure if there's a history which lead to this exchange. While some forums enjoy flame wars, the CAC isn't one of them. If you want to kick sand in each other's faces, take it outside.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation. :)

-Mac

Since you didn't say, we can only presume there are also condition points. 25? 30? Per the question a NEW windshield regardless of source should receive the full condition points (whatever they are) right?

Let's try again: So how many TOTAL points does a BRAND NEW OEM glass windshield get? And how many TOTAL points does a BRAND NEW replacement windshield get WITH JUST THE CORRECT DATE CODE? :confused

And how many points for the entire car? :confused

I don't have a C3 JG handy, but on a C2, the windshield is allocated 30 originality points and 30 condition points, for a total of 60 points, for a windshield that "appears" original and has no condition issues.

As long as the originality point deduction doesn't exceed 90% (leaving 10% of the originality points intact), the windshield is eligible for credit for the entire 30 condition points allocated, with condition deductions as appropriate.

A replacement windshield with just a date code (no LOF logo) would be treated as a non-OEM replacement, subject to a 50% originality point deduction (15 points).

The point allocation for the whole car is 4500; every car starts out with 4500 points, and deductions are made as appropriate as the five areas are judged (Operations, Interior, Exterior, Mechanical, and Chassis).

Top Flight requires at least 94% (you can lose up to 270 points)

Second Flight requires at least 85% (you can lose up to 675 points)

Third Flight requires at least 75% (you can lose up to 1125 points)

Points are also added as credit for driving the car to the meet; miles driven are multiplied by 1% (.01) and that number is added to the judged % score. For instance, if the car scored 93% in judging (just short of the cut for Top Flight) and was driven 200 miles to the meet, 2.0 points would be added to the judged score, for a new total of 95%, which would qualify the car for the Top Flight award. This is done to encourage driving the cars instead of trailering them. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom