Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Daylight Running Lights

Corvette
2001 Z06
Anyone have an idea why a DRL constantly burns out?? My right front DRL bulb has been replaced 4 times over the past 6 months. Typically lasts 4 to 6 weeks. Anyone run across this before??

I agree. The stock DRLs generate heat that burns a hole in the top of the plastic housing letting water in. I guess you drive in the rain. Not sure washing the car can get water in but it is one or the other or both. Water getting in will fail a hot bulb. Better also check and make sure the connector is not corroded.

If the DRL light assembly is original two contributors are possible.

1. The bulb has burnt a hole thru the plastic housing directly above the bulb, which lets water enter the housing. Water runs onto the bulb and into the socket causing a short and blown bulb.

2. The sockets electrical connections also become corroded, and need to be replaced.

The burnt hole in the housing can be repaired, or replace the housing with OEM or aftermarket lenses.
Also replacing the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs will eliminate the heat that causes the housings to be damaged.

Below is a link with a couple of pictures describing whats going on.

See post #10

C5 turn signal bulbs - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea why a DRL constantly burns out?? My right front DRL bulb has been replaced 4 times over the past 6 months. Typically lasts 4 to 6 weeks. Anyone run across this before??
Common problem with older Chevy and GMC pickups. When is the last time you saw one with both DRL's working. Not sure what bulb a Vette uses but evidently there is a TSB out there for them and this is what it says:
There is a TSB for some GM vehicles about this.

Info - Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Bulb Replacement #00-08-42-010A - (06/20/2003)

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Bulb Replacement

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models
2000-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2003 GMC Sierra Pickup Models
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL

This bulletin is to announce availability of new DRL bulb part number.

A new 14 volt DRL bulb, P/N 15199562 (trade bulb #4114K), is now available for use whenever a DRL lamp bulb on the above listed vehicles requires replacement. This more robust, higher voltage DRL bulb replaces P/N 1999482 (trade bulb #4157K). These bulbs should be replaced in pairs for customer satisfaction.

Parts Information

Part Number 15199562
Bulb, Daytime Running Lamp

Thanks all for your thoughts/comments. Looking at the DRL lens, I do see a small crack so maybe that is the issue. This last bulb went after 2 weeks and I didn't drive it in the rain. When replacing bulbs, I checked for corrosion but there was none. Was trying to avoid taking the DRL out to inspect but looks like I will this weekend. Thanks again, folks. :thumb

... Not sure washing the car can get water in but it is one or the other or both.

Yes, washing the car CAN get water into the socket. I have massive experience with that. :D

Also, hitting a water puddle can also get water into the socket and blow the bulb. These issue will only happen if your lens has been melted and is allowing water inside the lens.

... Also replacing the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs will eliminate the heat that causes the housings to be damaged.

After talking with some suppliers of these LED bulbs, it has been acknowledged that this is no longer the route to go. Apparently, these LED's have been the cause of quite a few issues with the DRL's. Some vendors have quit selling them.

After talking with some suppliers of these LED bulbs, it has been acknowledged that this is no longer the route to go. Apparently, these LED's have been the cause of quite a few issues with the DRL's. Some vendors have quit selling them.

Thanks for that comment, was seriously considering LEDs.

Yes, washing the car CAN get water into the socket. I have massive experience with that. :D

Are you refering to LED switchback DRL's or replacement "amber" LED's?

Any details on the "few issues" appreciated.

thanks

I was told LED's period. I had read a few threads were people were having some weird issues but I just chalked it up to lousy installs. Now I know better.

I see no reason why LEDs cannot be properly installed and used in place of the incandescent bulbs.. I am keeping my car stock and have not installed any. I would appreciate having a true technical reason why they will not work.

Hyperflash when using the turn signals can be resolved by adding resistors or using a HD flasher like the Hyperflash device being sold.

Mr. Sam

PS:I don't know how they are addressing the issue that the bulb also has the Parking light filament in it. Maybe that is their challenge.

Last edited:
I see no reason why LEDs cannot be properly installed and used in place of the incandescent bulbs.. I am keeping my car stock and have not installed any. I would appreciate having a true technical reason why they will not work.

Hyperflash when using the turn signals can be resolved by adding resistors or using a HD flasher like the Hyperflash device being sold.

Mr. Sam

It wasn't said that they couldn't be used, I was told that they developed a problem over time that caused weird issues. I was told that by a vendor who SELLS them so if anyone has first hand knowledge, he would.

10-4, thanks Junkman. Just went and looked at how one vendor addressed the Parking light issue. He has an LED that inserts like the OEM bulb. It has an internal design that slows it to switch from being Parking light to a DRL/Turn Signal with a change in color based on which circuit is powered. Clever concept. I guess this is what is called a "Switchback". I will assume that if there is an internal issue it would affect both circuits.

I've been running the switch back DRL's in the 98 for over a year with no problems. That's why I was curious to know exactly what type problems Junkman was referring to. I'm guessing it's with LED's that are not capable with replicating the DRL/Parking light/Turn signal functionality.

Early on when I first started converting the lighting on my 98 to LED's one of the bulbs I received as a switchback DRL turned out to be the one used for back up lights, it looked similar to the DRL LED, but it raised all kind of heck with the dash lights and instrument cluster when energized.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom