Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dead battery concerns

01TriBlack

The '01 I just purchased had a dead battery when I purchased it. It was charged (about 2 weeks ago now) and is dead once more. This car has sat around quite some time over the last couple years - only 2,000 miles put on it through 2002 and 2003. Would it be wise for me to replace it? And, if so, what would be the best battery for it?? Thanks much.

(Hmmm...I suppose I should be changing my handle to 01TriBlack.)

Mary

I'll bet your battery is fine. Charge it again, but don't exceed 15 volts. Vettes will kill a battery in two weeks or so because of the current draw from the various computers. Get a battery tender if you don't drive the car every few days.

i agree with the battery tender, i would change the battery to be on the safe side. the orginal batteries have a past history to leak. stw. :)

Thanks much for the replies. I think I'll go ahead and change it out, once it comes out of hibernation. I'm a little concerned about the leakage problems I've heard about. It's going to be sitting for the next 6 weeks or so. Should I just disconnect it at this point?

My experience ......after a battery is run completely dead.....it never really recovers full CCA ( cold cranking amps )....my .02

If the battery is the AGM (glass mat) you should be okay. Don't give up on it yet. Take it out and check for cracks / leaks, for peace of mind, and put it on a 2 amp smart charger if you have one. Don't let the voltage exceed 15 volts. When the voltage stabalizes at 13.8 volts, or so, put a battery tender on it, and leave it till Spring.

I have the original Panasonic AGM in my 92 Miata, and it's still as good as the day the car rolled off the assembly line. Treat AGMs properly, and they last a long time.

I would like to know where to look for these cracks.

If I understand the problem correctly, the cracks develop around the terminals. Someone with personal knowledge may want to chime in here.

My husband's not real big on replacing the battery (translation: thinks I spend too much on the cars) - so we're going to go the charging route. Corsa Pace exhaust will be here soon and ordered Michelin Pilot ZP's. He says enough is enough. Sheesh. Men. :eyerole

Change the battery, I had to spend over $800 becuase acid leaked and screwed everything up. Make sure you get a gel battery and you should not have any problems.

good luck :)

I have a 2000 . I going to buy a new battery. Is the red top better or the green top.
My last battery ia a exide A year old. ITs went dead twice in 4wk.

The battery in my car is black and seems to have an black type of insulation or padding around it. what is the purpose of that ?

thanks

01TriBlack said:
The '01 I just purchased had a dead battery when I purchased it. It was charged (about 2 weeks ago now) and is dead once more. This car has sat around quite some time over the last couple years - only 2,000 miles put on it through 2002 and 2003. Would it be wise for me to replace it? And, if so, what would be the best battery for it?? Thanks much.

(Hmmm...I suppose I should be changing my handle to 01TriBlack.)

Mary
I'm just checking by asking if you purchased this car from a dealer ? If you did you could get them to replace it.
If you got it from an individual then never mind.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom