Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

defroster switch don't work

Z

zgator

I was reading a post where a guy was looking for one and I decided to post my problem. There has been a few times 3or5 times that the little orange light came on for a second but then went right back off. I have an 82CE and was wondering if it has anything to do with the hatch.It looks like all the wires are in place and my hatch works great. I hope it isn't a bunch of wireing stuff. Thats far from my strong point. I hate wires and have no learning about it..I can't even hook up my home theather right.:rotfl

Sounds like it might be the "Timer relay". It is suppose to shut off the defogger after about 10 minutes, but yours kicks off right away. Could also be a poor ground. The ground is located on the left windshield pillarHere's the circuit.

78reardefog.jpg

Mine turned out to be the ground as mentioned above.

Mine turned out to be the ground as mentioned above.
I hope it's a ground because that sure is a pretty picture (and I know what it is) It don't make since.I will however print it because I do have a friend that knows these like the back of his hand so thanks a lot.I know the fix is in there somewhere;shrug

I hope it's a ground because that sure is a pretty picture (and I know what it is) It don't make since.I will however print it because I do have a friend that knows these like the back of his hand so thanks a lot.I know the fix is in there somewhere;shrug
Trying to read the electrical diagram can be confusing. However, the rear defroster is pretty simple. You have a ground connection to check on the passenger side just behind the T-Top anti-theft switch. I purchased a 12v light tester to check the rear defroster switch to see if I have power to the switch. Do this when the key is turned to the on position and be careful to touch only one terminal on the switch at a time. If no power check to see if the fuse in the circuit is open. If you have power to the switch it could be a bad switch or a loose connection from switch to ground. When I had to do this, I started with the switch and worked my way back to ground following the wiring which runs underneath the bezel around the drivers side of the emergency brake and then underneath the carpet behind the drivers side seat then up and behind the drivers side anti-theft switch for the T-Tops and then across to the passenger side where ground is. Behind the drivers seat under the carpet there is a connection that simply may need to be disconnected and then reconnected. You might want to start with the ground as this is probably the most easiest and problematic for the rear defroster. There is a little more involved and I am sure someone else could chime in to give some other suggestions or specifics but just wanted to assist since I have tackled this problem already. Hope this helps. ;)

Yeah. I'll for sure keep this as I plan to change my carpet sometime soon. I've got the carpet but don't really need it yet but I knew that buy the time I did need it the price would have gone up.Thanks.I at least know how to check for a bad ground.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom