Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DEI can't sell No. 8 to Hendrick

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
Hendrick Motorsports may have Dale Earnhardt in their stable, but they won't be able to buy his trademark No. 8.

Dale Earnhardt Inc. will not be allowed to sell the No. 8 to Hendrick or any other team, according to a report on the Charlotte Observer Web site.
According to the report, spokesman Ramsey Poston reiterated that NASCAR owns and assigns all car numbers and said a team cannot sell numbers on their own accord.

"NASCAR owns the numbers and licenses them to teams on an annual basis," Poston said in the report. "A team may allow another team to use the number for that year pending NASCAR's approval."

Poston said in the report that each year a team submits the numbers it wants to use. Numbers a team has previously been using are usually reissued. If a team gives up a number, it returns to NASCAR for reassignment. Selling the numbers is not an option.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. announced June 13 that he would be joining Hendrick Motorsports in 2008, sparking speculation over what would become of the DEI-owned No. 8 car. Earnhardt said during the news conference that he would like to drive the No. 8 for Hendrick.

DEI spokesman John Story said Monday they were aware of NASCAR's policy prohibiting the sale of car numbers, according to the report. Officials at Hendrick were not available for comment.

Article

Yes and no. Dale Sr. aquired the number 8 for DEI because it was his dad's number. I doubt that it will leave DEI for any reason. Dale Sr. aquired the number 1 when it was being actively used on the Rick Mast car by paying a large sum of $$ to the car owner at that time to surrender the number back to NASCAR. Then it was isseud to DEI who had applied for it.

So no, one team can't buy a number directly from another but there is no way NASCAR can stop a team from paying another team to relinquish a number back to NAS.CAR. All they have to do is surrender the number saying that they will not be using it in the future. If Hendricks has a request in for that number if it should become available then that is that. Done deal.

Personally, even though I'm a Jr. fan, Dale Sr. collected these numbers for DEI because they had importance to him. I think everyone should respect Sr.'s legacy and leave the numbers where they are.

Tom

I think the kid has earned that number and I'm sure his dad would feel the same way. He wouldn't be leaving DEI if his dad were still around, or if his dad had taken care of his personal matters prior to his death.
This is just my opinion.

I think the kid has earned that number and I'm sure his dad would feel the same way. He wouldn't be leaving DEI if his dad were still around, or if his dad had taken care of his personal matters prior to his death.
This is just my opinion.
I don't think any of this is turnin' out like Sr. wanted.;shrug

I agree. It wouldn't even be an issue right now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom