Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Delco spark plugs/wires good enough - or should I pay more?

dmdodd

Corvette
1979 L-48, Green-on-Green
Time for some new spark plugs and wires.
FYI - I only have an untuned, un-upgraded L48 engine, so I'm not looking for expensive race performance or anything, just something reliable and cost-effective.

Plugs:
Just been doing some research, and just within AC Delco there are 3 grades of plug (Standard, RapidFire and Platinum)!
Will I be fine just getting the standard R45TS plugs?

I noticed that Bosch and NGK also do plugs around the same price, is it worth looking at these, or just stick with the AC Delco (Zip corvette recommends staying with AC Delco for their superior resistant to radio interference: "Insist on genuine AC spark plugs - designed specifically for use in your Corvette. Order by application or check owners manual for correct spark plug number. OEM plugs minimize radio interference")
So, do I believe Zip and stick with AC Delco? And if so, R45TS okay?

Wires:
Same question - AC Delco wires okay?
I found some cheaper (a mere $32) 8mm PowerMAX wires for sale on RockAuto, anyone know anything about this manufacturer? They look like they have the special boot on the distributor end too, to attach the HEI plate to.
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Thanks for any advice y'll have.
:beer

Time for some new spark plugs and wires.
FYI - I only have an untuned, un-upgraded L48 engine, so I'm not looking for expensive race performance or anything, just something reliable and cost-effective.

Plugs:
Just been doing some research, and just within AC Delco there are 3 grades of plug (Standard, RapidFire and Platinum)!
Will I be fine just getting the standard R45TS plugs?

I noticed that Bosch and NGK also do plugs around the same price, is it worth looking at these, or just stick with the AC Delco (Zip corvette recommends staying with AC Delco for their superior resistant to radio interference: "Insist on genuine AC spark plugs - designed specifically for use in your Corvette. Order by application or check owners manual for correct spark plug number. OEM plugs minimize radio interference")
So, do I believe Zip and stick with AC Delco? And if so, R45TS okay?

Wires:
Same question - AC Delco wires okay?
I found some cheaper (a mere $32) 8mm PowerMAX wires for sale on RockAuto, anyone know anything about this manufacturer? They look like they have the special boot on the distributor end too, to attach the HEI plate to.
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Thanks for any advice y'll have.
:beer
I think you answered your own question in the beginning. Stock motor and not wanting to spend a whole lot. Stick with AC Delco.

Agree and remember that you usually get what you pay for. ;)

You'll be fine with AC Delco but do you have any plans of upgrading the engine performance wise, cause if you do and can afford it spend some money and get a good set of wires, for plugs well everybody has their own preference but i changed from AC to NGK and with my MSD system i like them better maybe its all mental though.. Either way your vette will love the new plugs and wires

I agree too. GM needs all the money they can get so donate!

:L;LOL:rotfl...that was funny, Topless...:boogie

But back to the subject, what motivated me to switch to Taylor sparkplugs was the fact that it is a huge pain to get underneath the Vette and change the wires with the heat-shield installed, so to extend the reliability on the wires and avoid get under the car every 6 months, I used the Taylor wires. They're cut to fit, 300 ohms per foot, and thick enough to help extend their reliability.

On the other hand, I drove my vette many years without the heat shields, and so it was no problem using the AC-Delco ones or any other "cheapie" wires.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom