Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Detailing C6's

JJS

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
I'm hoping to get myself into a new C6 soon and I was wondering how you guys detail your engine compartments as well as the under carriage? I've seen several pictures of C5's and C6's with several thousand miles on them but the engine comparments and under carriages look like their brand new, almost as if they're right of the showroom floor. Please share your secrets as to how you take care of them without having your own lift - what products do you use and how do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

-JS

I'm hoping to get myself into a new C6 soon and I was wondering how you guys detail your engine compartments as well as the under carriage? I've seen several pictures of C5's and C6's with several thousand miles on them but the engine comparments and under carriages look like their brand new, almost as if they're right of the showroom floor. Please share your secrets as to how you take care of them without having your own lift - what products do you use and how do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

-JS

Detailing a C6 is the same process as a C5 or C4. I use rags and elbow grease, wipe down all hoses, brush everything with long brushes, even blow the dust out with compressed air. I then finish things off with a "highlighter" product which makes everything look fantastic. Adams products makes such a product. Once the engine compartment is clean, it's pretty easy. I do the same thing with my wheels...clean them after every drive.

And good for you getting into a C6. Have you looked at our inventory? Corvette Mike New England

Elaine

Thanks for the excellent advice Elaine, and I have used some of the Adam's products on my previous car.

I have (I'm always checking your website - Roger's too) checked your website and you have some really beautiful cars, but I'd like my last Corvette to be a "new" Corvette if you know what I mean. I guess it's always been a dream to own one right off the showroom floor.

I've been in contact with MacMulkin's and they are offering a pretty good deal right now and I'll also get an additional $3K off for the points I have on my GM card. It's really a great deal if I can work up the courage to pull the trigger!

If for some reason (the Mrs) I decide not to buy new, I'll be in touch.

-JS

I understand your dream ,may I recommend saving a few extra pennies and picking up your car in Bowling Green :D

The underbelly of a C6 is pretty easy to clean .I have jacks that allow me about two feet of clearance .Cleaning depends on parts and area ,anything from spray cleaners , Brillo pads and pink stuff .I used paste Ice on all painted or surfaces that can be waxed .After driving up from Florida last weekend (yes last weekend :mad) I'm in the process of doing a complete under belly and hidden area cleaning .I should be done in a couple months.

After driving up from Florida last weekend (yes last weekend :mad) .

I read your post last week and I was hoping you were joking - OUCH!

Thanks for the excellent advice Elaine, and I have used some of the Adam's products on my previous car.

I have (I'm always checking your website - Roger's too) checked your website and you have some really beautiful cars, but I'd like my last Corvette to be a "new" Corvette if you know what I mean. I guess it's always been a dream to own one right off the showroom floor.

I've been in contact with MacMulkin's and they are offering a pretty good deal right now and I'll also get an additional $3K off for the points I have on my GM card. It's really a great deal if I can work up the courage to pull the trigger!

If for some reason (the Mrs) I decide not to buy new, I'll be in touch.

-JS

Why are you hesitating about getting into a C6? Just do it!!! I don't mean to sound morbid, but I personally know too many people who put off and put off and then a sudden death or catastrophe came along, and those dreams were gone forever. MacMulkin is a great dealership if you are looking to buy new. Don't be shocked, though, a year later at how much it depreciated! :ugh I bought new once...that's it for me.

Elaine

Why are you hesitating about getting into a C6? Just do it!!! I don't mean to sound morbid, but I personally know too many people who put off and put off and then a sudden death or catastrophe came along, and those dreams were gone forever. MacMulkin is a great dealership if you are looking to buy new. Don't be shocked, though, a year later at how much it depreciated! :ugh I bought new once...that's it for me.

Elaine

Elaine, please see "show us your new C6." I pulled the trigger this afternoon and got a beautiful Triple black GS (3LT). As far as depreciation goes, this car will be with me until one of those morbid events happens, but I did consider all of that when making my decision. The hardest thing for both me and my wife was deciding whether to purchase the triple black or the Cyber Gray with black top and interior. They were both really beautiful cars.

Thanks,

-JS

Good for you!! Congratulations! Although I'm very partial to Cyber Gray, there's nothing like a triple black! Hope to see it soon.

Elaine

Elaine
I agree, don't wait. I pulled the plug and went for the 427 Callaway over my 09 CyberGray Callaway. I'm going to be 64 this year. Too many friends have passed, some I am sure went "wishing for this and that". Like many, I can not afford to retire nor want cuz I enjoy what I do. So I shall drive in style. Atleast I will not be saying "I wish I bought that car". Good Luck what ever you decide. :w

Attachments

• 1162 004.jpg
    1162 004.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 1162 007.jpg
    1162 007.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 1162 016.jpg
    1162 016.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 132
Great Choice!

Have the same car, 2010 GS convertible for a couple of years, love it even though black is hard to keep clean.
Looking at possible C7 convertible or 427 convertible next, not sure but will wait to see what C7 convertible
looks like in person.

Elaine, please see "show us your new C6." I pulled the trigger this afternoon and got a beautiful Triple black GS (3LT). As far as depreciation goes, this car will be with me until one of those morbid events happens, but I did consider all of that when making my decision. The hardest thing for both me and my wife was deciding whether to purchase the triple black or the Cyber Gray with black top and interior. They were both really beautiful cars.

Thanks,

-JS
AW-RIGHT!!!

Congrats on taking the dive! Can't wait to see pix!

Let me know if I can assist in posting them!

:wJane Ann

Thanks Jane-Ann, I appreciate the kind words. It may be a while before I have decent pics as I broke my camera recently, and this car isn't going to be seeing the "light of day" until things are cleaned up around here in the Northeast.

-John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom