Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dewitts aluminum radiator maintenance

C

C3RVETTE

My 1st experience with an aluminum radiator,& I'm wanting to know about any maint. issues associated with proper care of it. I've seen advertisements that suggest using an anode,I think its called,that you hang inside the rad. just past the filler cap to stop any corrosion to the radiator itself.Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

IMO, a bunch of crap, i'ts NOT saltwater for coolant, it's not even mineral rich water, and when mixed with a gallon or so of 100% outta the can ethyl/glycol it's good as you can get....

too many boat theory guys....leaving it in saltwater for storage over long time spans.....

:upthumbs

IMO, a bunch of crap, i'ts NOT saltwater for coolant, it's not even mineral rich water, and when mixed with a gallon or so of 100% outta the can ethyl/glycol it's good as you can get....

too many boat theory guys....leaving it in saltwater for storage over long time spans.....

Huh?:W

OK, sorry, old car guy here, for decades with aluminum/iron/brass/copper and ethelyn glycol coolant there has never been an issue with any sacrificial anode type devices needed.....

so all of a sudden, it's a 'hot topic'....methinks some one is reading too much...

any NEW cars come with one?? and then there is MY direct experiences dating back some 40 years with a '63 Olds 215" engine setting in my mom's garage for some 25 years with 35k miles on it....my old college car...on and off...

the thing ran fine, rad/coolent wise, that old engine from the 60's was a aluminum block with iron liners and aluminum heads, brass radiator.....

I had to fix the brakes...and change oil/filter/cleaners...

sold it some 3 months after putting it on the road again....

so tell me there is a corrosion factor running glycol....and I got direct and to the point experience that it is NOT....and all that anode crap is just that....not an issue running glycol....

:boogie:upthumbs

What about 'distilled' water over tap water? Or changing the rad fluid more often?:confused

What about 'distilled' water over tap water? Or changing the rad fluid more often?:confused

Well water, city water, up north, here in Florida for some 50 years driving all sorts of cars.....just use enough glycol to do your min freeze temps which here in NE Florida is about a gallon and the rest water....

OH, edit....these cars are basically hotrods right out of the factory, and as such maybe they need some attention more than say a 4 cyl honda commuter beater....eh?? to boot they are older...

but that really don't affect what the basics are....

I've had a DeWitts for a couple of years and periodically check the coolant for one reason or another......it's been as clear as the day I put it in. I've never had a need for an anode in any car I've had. I drained the rad this past winter to work on the engine and it was perfect, it was reinstalled.

This anode stuff is strange, some cars seem to eat up dissimilar metals and the anode works for them but most other cars don't have a problem. I always suspected it had something to do with improper electrical grounding in the vehicle somewhere, but just a hunch on my part.

I've always used distilled water in a 50/50 mix rather than take a chance on tap water that might be on the acid side.

I talked to a local vette club member,who is a mechanic who specializes primarily on corvettes,but lots of everything else,too. He owns an extensively modified Silver Anniversary. We briefly discussed this,& all he does is change the antifreeze once a year. Hasnt noticed any corrosion,but says you can actually measure electrical activity from disimilar metals interaction.Doesnt use anodes or anything else.I forgot to ask about distilled water.

If you use distilled water (fewer minerals/impurities than typical tap water) and a 50-50 mix of water/anti-freeze and change the coolant every two years, your DeWitts aluminum radiator will give you many years of service. You don't need "anodes". If you didn't notice, distilled water is a requirement to maintain the warranty.

:beer

If you use distilled water (fewer minerals/impurities than typical tap water) and a 50-50 mix of water/anti-freeze and change the coolant every two years, your DeWitts aluminum radiator will give you many years of service. You don't need "anodes". If you didn't notice, distilled water is a requirement to maintain the warranty.

:beer
Thanks.Yes,it does have distilled now,& I've had the rad about 2 years with the original stuff in it since the install.Time to change it!:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom