Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did GM give my 85 free Blisteen shocks?

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
I'm trying to decode my '85. I have the build sheet and window sticker. I received the car with 43K on it. The options listed do not include the Blisteen shocks or the Z51 handling package, which would have included the Blisteens, yet the car has Blisteens all the way around. I know this is a 'late build' model, and was wondering if GM just put Blisteens on the car for production purposes, (meaning they ran out of standard shocks, and just changed everything over to the Blisteens). I don't think any of the 2 owners before me would have changed the shocks(?). What do you folks think?? :confused thanks:Steer

Didn't they all come with Bilsteins, just different /stiffer performance Bilsteins with Z51 cars?:confused

I know later C4's had base Delco-Bilsteins, (FE1), on non-Z-51 cars.

I too am pretty sure that all the C4's had Bilsteins all the way around. Bilstein makes all sorts of different ones, so it is very logical for them to have different stiffness for the different Corvette models.

Come to think of it, I think the early Z-51 cars had Bilstein HD shocks. They should say so on the shocks.

Hope this helps some. It's still too cold here for me to go take a look!

I don't know if Bilsteins were factory equipment on all cars. When I look up the production numbers for my 87 it says that the FG3 RPO is for Delco Bilstein shock absorbers and that there were only 1,957 produced.

I have an 88 I bought with 10k on it. It does not have Bilstiens on it and I am the second owner. It still had the original air and fuel filter on it when I got it so i'm sure the shocks were not changed. Besides the shocks have the little stickers with the G.M. part # on them. I know mine did not come with differant shocks.

I know for my 85 and for several years Blisteen(?) shocks were an option, according to the Corvette Black Book. I'm just trying to figure if my car had the Z51 handling package. I know it has heavy duty cooling, which is also part of that package. The Corvette museum sticker & build sheet I purchased did not show the Z51 option. Oh well.

My 88 is a Z52 and it has the Delco-Bilsteins

I know for my 85 and for several years Blisteen(?) shocks were an option, according to the Corvette Black Book. I'm just trying to figure if my car had the Z51 handling package. I know it has heavy duty cooling, which is also part of that package. The Corvette museum sticker & build sheet I purchased did not show the Z51 option. Oh well.

The Z51 option was shelved for a few years, and in it's place was the Z07 option. Basically it was the Z51 with FX3 adjustable handling package. 1990 last year for the Z51 until 1996 when it was brought back. Z07 designation for years 1991-1995. There were 3935 Z07 cars built in that time (source; Cor-vette specs 1984-1996 by Michael Antonick)

Edit; I thought Ruby Fan was referring to 1993 not an 1985, sorry, my bad.

My 88 is a Z52 and it has the Delco-Bilsteins
The original yellow Bilsteins from the factory have a little AC Delco sticker on them. Aftermarket Bilsteins don't have the Delco sticker.

I'm almost positive about that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom