Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did I get a decent deal on 92 vert?

Corvette
1984 Black Coupe (sold) 1992 White Convertible
I recently purchased a 92 white convertible with red leather interior. The body is straight, no accidents, clear title, etc. It has 102,000 miles on it. The paint isn't too bad, but does have some scratches here and there. It had a total of 4 owners, me being the fourth and a dealer in Florida being the second. The top definitely needs replacing and it could use a tune up. The person selling it was asking 6500, however he ended up letting it go for $4900. Is this a good price for a 92 that needs some work. Just curious to see what other fellow vette owners think. I sold my 84 last year for 3800 on ebay, so I was figuring I was getting a good deal on this one. Any input appreciated. Thanks.:beer

NADA says a clean 92 convertible (with 102,000 miles) goes for $11,600.00.

So, I would say you got a SCREAMING deal! :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

You could darn near part it out for that. If you don't want to keep it let me know. I would love to upgrade to and LT1.

Glenn
:w

You stold that car, great deal.

If you see red and blue lights behind you, make a run for it, your up grand theft auto.

I bought an 85 for $4300, I thought that was a great deal, but now I stand corrected.:beer

Only as long as you can do a lot of the work yourself. I'm not sure how much a new top goes for, but its probably close to $1k. Next, you didnt mention anything about how she runs other than needing a tuneup. The opti unit in these things seem to work or dont work. If its missing, maybe just injectors. More than likely, some carbon tracking on the opti cap and rotor. $150-200 for parts. Wires, $70. Might as well replace the water pump when you check your opti. $200. Hows the interior? If its livable, then no money involved. If not, seat covers, carpet etc get pricey real quick. Paint will cost you nowadays, the skys the limit on that one.

Not saying you got taken at all. It sounds like you did real well. Just that sometimes what sounds like a smoking deal, may be a money pit. I bought a 92 coupe 1 1/2 yrs ago for a good price. So far I have put about $3500 into it just in parts. As a mechanic, I do my own work. And I considered it in good condition at the time. I havent touched the interior or paint other than to detail them. I've put my money into the engine, clutch, suspension and tires. I now have a fine running car that I feel can be driven anywhere without worry. These LT 1 engines make excellent h.p. and get great gas milage considering how quick they can be. Mine just turned 100k miles and feel confident it can handle the new engine mods I plan on without tearing into the block. Congrats on your new ride.

Food for thought on buying used cars. All cars need something. Some more than others. A friend recently bought a used C5, he got what we thought was a smoking deal. When he went to pick it up, mechanicals kept him from driving it home. A bad relay, time and $$$ later he got it home only to have another failure. More $$. So far he has added 1200 to the cost of his "great deal". But the tires are miss matched and are not run flats. You can easily add another 1k-1.2k for good tires. So now his car is actually about what he could have bought that was a bit better taken care of. Again, his car is really a nice clean car, it just cost him more than he bargained for right out the gate.

I'd say you got a really good deal. I was just told about a 91 or 92 white vert that an older gentlemen has and wants to sell. I haven't looked at it and they person telling me about it didn't know what he wanted for it or anything else about it. I'm going to try and look at it Weds. I hope I can pick it up (if it's in decent shape) for the money you bought yours for.

Only as long as you can do a lot of the work yourself. I'm not sure how much a new top goes for, but its probably close to $1k. Next, you didnt mention anything about how she runs other than needing a tuneup. The opti unit in these things seem to work or dont work. If its missing, maybe just injectors. More than likely, some carbon tracking on the opti cap and rotor. $150-200 for parts. Wires, $70. Might as well replace the water pump when you check your opti. $200. Hows the interior? If its livable, then no money involved. If not, seat covers, carpet etc get pricey real quick. Paint will cost you nowadays, the skys the limit on that one.

Well I try doing most of the mechanical work that needs to be done to my cars myself. I mostly learn as I go, but usually always finish the job correctly. I'm beginning to worry that this "tune-up" that I was told this car would need, may in fact be the opti-spark. When running, it takes the gas sometimes and throws me back in the seat, while at other times it misses and backfires bigtime. The guy I bought it off of used to have the dealership do all his repairs and he had over 20 thousand in repair receipts that he gave to me with the car! I'm assuming he was just sick of pumping money into the car, but I now realize I may be pumping a good amount of my own money into it! Any other possiblities for the skipping/ backfiring? Oh, and the air conditioner compressor pulley is rattling (not the pulley it self but the metal piece in the circle portion of the pulley), so it sounds like crap at an idle. Also the belt seems to be inching its way off the AC pulley even after I put it back on twice. BTW, i bought the car without ever driving it because the belt had broken off when I started it. The person I bought from assured me that the motor and tranny was solid and that it may need a fuel filter/tune-up. For me this didn't seem like a big deal so I had triple A tow it home. I got the belt on today and drove around my block to notice these problems. I'm getting a little worried now. :pukeI usually always test drive a car before buying it, but I couldn't resist this one. ;help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom