Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did i install this distributor right?

octaneforce

Corvette
white 89 coupe
So my car hasnt been running for a few weeks and ive desperately tried to solve the problem with no luck. You can see what ive been dealing with in my other threads but no i am just trying to back track. Is this distributor installed 180* out?

heres the other thread

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...139379-1989-wont-start-covered-all-bases.html

im gonna swap this dist for a new one tomorrow in case this one is defective.

There is no way to know for sure that your distributer is installed correctly by a picture. You need to have the rotor electrical contact end pointing to the #1 cylinder in the COMPRESSION stroke only. Pull #1 spark plug and rotate the engine until you have the compression stroke on #1 cylinder and then keep rotating the crank pulley to line up with the "0" or TDC mark on the lower pulley, during the compression stroke only. Then install the distributer with the electrical part of the rotor facing the #1 spark plug wire and make sure that the firing order is correct following the #1 wire position and distributer rotation. Good luck with it. :)

There is no way to know for sure that your distributer is installed correctly by a picture. You need to have the rotor electrical contact end pointing to the #1 cylinder in the COMPRESSION stroke only. Pull #1 spark plug and rotate the engine until you have the compression stroke on #1 cylinder and then keep rotating the crank pulley to line up with the "0" or TDC mark on the lower pulley, during the compression stroke only. Then install the distributer with the electrical part of the rotor facing the #1 spark plug wire and make sure that the firing order is correct following the #1 wire position and distributer rotation. Good luck with it. :)

Problem is that the distributor will turn without the rotor. I could point the rotor at cyl 1 and still spin the distributor all over the place while keeping the rotor there. I was hoping somebody could confirm that the distributor appears to be in the same position as theirs. Ive tried every orientation of it. Either nothing happens, it backfires through the intake, or it backfires through the exhaust.

The rotor is not supposed to turn with the housing. There should be a clamp to secure the housing to the engine after ensuring the timing is correct.

You didn't say in your video (amongst the f-bombs) if the engine is at #1 TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. Did you check?

The rotor is not supposed to turn with the housing. There should be a clamp to secure the housing to the engine after ensuring the timing is correct.

You didn't say in your video (amongst the f-bombs) if the engine is at #1 TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. Did you check?

Well i have the clamp loosened up because i was messing with it. Balancer is on zero and piston 1 is at the top of its stroke. How do i confirm if this is the compression or exhaust stroke? I guess it shouldnt come up again if i want the compression stroke

If your #1 piston is at TDC and the balancer is at "0" then you are on the compression stroke. But with as loose as the distributor appears and with how much you were turing it back and forth you are almost definitely out of time. I would suggest snugging down the distributor so that you can still turn if but it does not rotate on freely. You are going to need a timing light to get it back in time so that it will start. Also if you haven't or even if you have double and triple check your plug wires on the distributor cap. With the #1 at TDC and balancer on "0" and the rotor is definitely pointing at cylinder 1 place the distributor cap in position and make sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire on the cap. If it is not then the firing oder will be out of sequence and the car will not start (I think you can guess how I know this. Even after checking it twice). I believe the firing order should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Let us know what you find.

To know if you are on the compression stroke you need to know the valve positions.
As the cylinder rises towards TDC all vlaves should be closed for compression stroke. If the exhause valve is open you are on the exhaust stroke.

Well i have the clamp loosened up because i was messing with it. Balancer is on zero and piston 1 is at the top of its stroke. How do i confirm if this is the compression or exhaust stroke? I guess it shouldnt come up again if i want the compression stroke

Put your finger over the #1 plug hole that the spark plug was removed from, or use a compression gauge and hose, and feel for the compression as the piston comes up to TDC.

Maybe I'll take off the valve cover and make another video to confirm. What was that buzzing noise i kept hearing in the first video?

Why not just check the way LLC5 said? its far easier than removing the cover to see the valves, but just as reliable.
:thumb

False. It could just as easily be on the exhaust stroke.

True. I should have added that he could have verified by pulling the valve cover and checking the valves, or noting that the rotor was on the #1 plug in the distributor cap.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom