Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did the NCRS, etc. ever make allowances for the AeroBody?

T

TurboLuigi

Did NCRS ever make an allowance for the Aerobody and/or other Callaway installed options?

Anyone know where we stand with that?

-Luigi
:cool

Did NCRS ever make an allowance for the Aerobody and/or other Callaway installed options?

Anyone know where we stand with that?

-Luigi
:cool

Not yet. I talked to Roy Sinor (National Judging Chairman) a few weeks ago, and he made it sound like Flight Judging for the Aerobody cars and possibly American Heritage Awards for Callaways might be on the agenda for the January board meeting. No decisions yet, of course, but it sounded like they recognized there was a gap, they just weren't sure how to close it yet.

Bloomington Gold has no provisions for this year - stay tuned...

I know this is going to prove to be interesting to follow over the coming year(s) but in the meantime, there really are no provisions in place to judge AeroBody cars for within the NCRS or Bloomington Gold :(

A bit of a discussion I had on the subject, included the fact that while it would be nice to include all the Callaways, for now, the AeroBody cannot be judged without (body) deductions, as there was no specific RPO for it. Additionally, if the color does not match the trim tag (SPI label), then the best the car would achieve in Bloomington Gold Judging / Certification, would be a Silver.

The subject has been raised again this weekend and we'll see where it goes - in the meantime, I will be enjoying my AeroBody car for what it is - Amazing :cool :lou

I don't know what the NCRS thinks about the C3 Daytona body? These are also around in a somewhat larger number but also not original/ no rpo etc etc. If they didn't accept them I would be very curious why they would accept a Aerobody. I think (as in Chris's reply is stated) If you have an Aerobody with a custom color and still want to get the top flight from the NCRS it would main the NCRS would have to downgrade there specs. The Aerobody is just one (but very fine) example of a aftermarket bodykit, so why accepting a Aerobody but not all the other bodykits?
The fact alone that there are a couple of Aerobodys around on normal vettes proofs to my that it would be darn difficult to catalog every option into the NCRS list. My opinion ;)

Groeten Peter.

If they didn't accept them I would be very curious why they would accept a Aerobody. I think (as in Chris's reply is stated) If you have an Aerobody with a custom color and still want to get the top flight from the NCRS it would main the NCRS would have to downgrade there specs. The Aerobody is just one (but very fine) example of a aftermarket bodykit, so why accepting a Aerobody but not all the other
Groeten Peter.

That is exactly the problem, and why (in my opinion), they'll never recognize the Aerobody cars. The premise of NCRS is simple - the car is restored to original condition, as delivered to the original owner. Now, for the cars that can document the Aerobody being installed by Callaway, when the car was originally ordered (i.e. installed before it was delivered to the original owner), then MAYBE the NCRS would OK it. The hitch there, and what I think they are struggling with, is (as Chris said) the lack of an RPO code for the Aerobody.

The other hitch, which I hadn't really thought about before your post Peter, is that, in theory, an original buyer could have ordered virtually any aftermarket body kit be installed by the dealer before they took delivery. I doubt that would ever fly with the NCRS, and between that and the lack of an RPO code, we may never see the Aerobody officially accepted either. We'll just have to wait and see.

In my case, I think I'm out of luck with the Speedster anyway. I would take deductions for the Aerobody changes (both above and below the belt line), exterior color change, interior color and material change, carpeting color and material change, convertible top missing, all glass modified/changed, and wheels/tires changed. I think about the only thing that is "original" on my car is the outside rear view mirrors, and maybe the door handles. I'd be lucky to make a Third Flight in any case. :D

The hitch there, and what I think they are struggling with, is (as Chris said) the lack of an RPO code for the Aerobody.

The other hitch, which I hadn't really thought about before your post Peter, is that, in theory, an original buyer could have ordered virtually any aftermarket body kit be installed by the dealer before they took delivery. I doubt that would ever fly with the NCRS, and between that and the lack of an RPO code, we may never see the Aerobody officially accepted either. We'll just have to wait and see.

I have spoken again with the senior C4 Judges from Bloomington Gold and yes Jon, it is the lack of the RPO for the AeroBody that this hinges upon.

For the exact reason / logic you suggest, is why they have difficulties accepting the AeroBody, no matter how correct it is. If they let the AeroBody go, they feel that all body packages would have to be let go - I of course, disagree to some extent, as the AeroBody was from Callaway Cars, the maker of the B2K's.

Apparently some time before I joined the BG Judging Team, cars with all sorts of kits, tried for certification. No-go...

While BG is looking at accepting the cars in other ways, Certification Judging for the Aero's just is not possible at this point. BG has recognized the cars in the Special Collection, and I am sure other examples of limelight will come forward over time.

In the meantime, Jon - you have the right idea. Enjoy your car! :upthumbs

I of course, disagree to some extent, as the AeroBody was from Callaway Cars, the maker of the B2K's.

Could explain your point a little further Chris? For example, what makes a Aerobody being "more" than a Lingenfelter body?

Groeten Peter.

these people take points off if your pace car has the graphics on it....you think you're getting a body kit past them?

I have spoken again with the senior C4 Judges from Bloomington Gold and yes Jon, it is the lack of the RPO for the AeroBody that this hinges upon.

For the exact reason / logic you suggest, is why they have difficulties accepting the AeroBody, no matter how correct it is. If they let the AeroBody go, they feel that all body packages would have to be let go - I of course, disagree to some extent, as the AeroBody was from Callaway Cars, the maker of the B2K's.

Apparently some time before I joined the BG Judging Team, cars with all sorts of kits, tried for certification. No-go...

While BG is looking at accepting the cars in other ways, Certification Judging for the Aero's just is not possible at this point. BG has recognized the cars in the Special Collection, and I am sure other examples of limelight will come forward over time.

In the meantime, Jon - you have the right idea. Enjoy your car! :upthumbs

Chris, seems almost every '90 & '91 CTTC I've seen has been Aerobodied. How many would you guess are non-Aero'd for these years?

Chris, seems almost every '90 & '91 CTTC I've seen has been Aerobodied. How many would you guess are non-Aero'd for these years?

It looks like the 1991 model year had qute a few Aero cars, with only ten w/ out the handsome bodywork :cool Talk about rare!

For 1990, it was ~ 2/3rd's of production with vs. without the AeroBody :cool however, at least one more car has an AeroBody (added) since these figures were compliled ;) http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/Images/CallawayProductionStats.jpg

I hope this helps :beer

Could explain your point a little further Chris? For example, what makes a Aerobody being "more" than a Lingenfelter body?

Groeten Peter.

Personal feelings aside about taste & style, the fact of the matter is this, the Callaway AeroBody was avail. from Old Lyme when the cars were new - not someting added after the fact - and certainly not developed after B2K production had already ended - and from another company (like LPE).

Regards,
C :beer

these people take points off if your pace car has the graphics on it....you think you're getting a body kit past them?

This is true - since the cars left the line in Bowling Green without the decals installed (they were in a box), they have points deducted for having them installed - no matter how nice it may look.

I think that there needs to be a differentiation between Callaway's with factory installed AB's and AB's ordered and installed after the fact. This can be proven out by the Callaway added window sticker. And if Callaway would help, by their records. We cheapen the original AB cars by listing as AB's cars that have added the body as anything other than a factory order (i.e., on the production numbers listed on the COG, there are numbers for 1988 and 1989 AB's. These were only available as kits to those cars.

Bob

Bob, unfortunately, right now nether the NCRS, or Bloomington Gold will recognze an AeroBody car.

Each judging organzation right now will only judge standard body cars and deduct "points" or otherwise score negatively, for the AeroBody, as it was not a Chevrolet option in their eyes - even if the paperwork shows it was done prior to delivery. :ugh

This s somethng I have been n communication with (each organization) over the past year + to try to come to some sort of understanding other than the fact, owners of Aero cars won't subject their pride & joy to a negative, or otherwise unfavorable scoring system for the way the car was built...

We'll see what transpires in 2007 :cool

Chris,

Could you please explain to me... When you have an Aerobody car that is something different then the dozen of normal Corvette's, it set's you apart...
Why are you struggling to get the Aerobody accepted in the NCRS program? :)

Groeten Peter.

Groeten Peter The reason to get the Aerobody accepted is for the judging purpose in order to get the highest score and highest award possible. Right now if you have an Aerobody they penalize you for it and take points away from your score.The two most prestigious awards are NCRS and Bloomington Gold Judging for a corvette.

Groeten Peter The reason to get the Aerobody accepted is for the judging purpose in order to get the highest score and highest award possible. Right now if you have an Aerobody they penalize you for it and take points away from your score.The two most prestigious awards are NCRS and Bloomington Gold Judging for a corvette.

What Callaway4Fun stated is true. Collectively, we have been working towards this for awhile now. What I have heard, is owners of Aero cars will not take them out and have them judged by either, as they are not willing to punish themselves over the current rulebook, no matter how nice their cars are.

I hope this helps.

Well I understand why you want to get them accepted. But is it (in a sence) wanting to have cold fire? These are two contradicting points. A Callaway is different thats what makes it a Callaway (of course with a dozen of other things). But if I had a Callaway I would be proudt not making it to a NCRS top flight. Top flights are for all the normal vette's. IMO :)

(Groeten = Greetings in Dutch ;) )

Groeten Peter.

Right Peter but we are looking to have them accepted by both groups . It is like obtaining the Holy Grail for corvettes. Aerobodys accepted would be great all around.

I just don't see the areobody ever gettin accepted by the nrcs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom