Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

diesel fuel on paint

joesroad

Corvette
1988 Bright red Coupe
Can anyone tell me if diesel fuel will harm automotive paint, some jerk working for a fuel company sprayed some on my hood. I washed it off right away but just curious if it can cause any long term problems.:mad

I've ran diesel on the paint of my Dually several times during fill-ups and have not seen any problems with the paint.​

Hope this helps...

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter​

since you washed it right off, should have no prob with paint...may react with wax that was there, tho -- if any streaks or clouding are visible, the old wax should be removed with prep-sol (aka pre-kleano and other names -- any auto parts store that sells paint to body shops has quarts/ gallons, a quart should do 1/2 a car ez)...use old socks or tee-shirts to do abt 2 ft x 2 ft at a time -- wipe on wet coat of prep-sol, wait 1-2 minutes, wipe with clean rag...do not work in direct sunlight, temp 60-90* F is good...use very light pressure, do not rub long or heavy...allow several days for solvent to evaporate, wash with soap/water, apply new wax.

extended exposure to diesel fuel, gasoline, or road tar will discolor the paint, may even soften it...paint will harden again after contaminant is removed, but may be mechanically damaged by remover, work gently.

many waxes/ polishes contain petroleum ingredients, btw

I think the jerk should be taken aside and severly beaten.

Update

The company responsible for the fuel on my paint has had me take her to a detail shop to completely strip off the wax, buff, polish and rewax the car. This is what all the paint people I spoke to recomend. At least they didnt try to weasel out of it.;squint:

I use diesel to get the asphalt off my Kenworth. I don't have a showroom shine on the big truck, but the paint is still holding up.

It wont hurt it,just wax it good afterwards.Now days as long as the paint had a catalyst mixed in it almost nothing will hurt it and most paints of today have catalysts.

No worries.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom