Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Diff. if any between CA emission requirements and other states

R

Ray Stout

I own a 1994 ZR-1 #360 which was originally a California car and now resides in North Carolina. Is there any restrictive equipment that can/should be removed to improve performance?
I'm planning or putting headers and performance mufflers on and would like to make remove any Calif. required equipment when that is done.

None of the emissions equipment really hurts performance, maybe the cats but if you are going to put on headers, most likely you are dropping those. Nothing else will hurt anything. The Corvettes today are the most fuel efficient, clean burning, and have the most emissions equipment ever put on them, and HP is the HIGHEST...see my point.

I own a 1994 ZR-1 #360 which was originally a California car and now resides in North Carolina. Is there any restrictive equipment that can/should be removed to improve performance?
I'm planning or putting headers and performance mufflers on and would like to make remove any Calif. required equipment when that is done.

There is no hardware on that engine specific to California emissions.

If NC has no emissions controls IM program, then cat removal, headers and appropriate recalibration will gain 25-30 hp, most of it up at high rpm.

Thanks 93Rubie and Hib. I'll post dyno results and times in the Spring when I've upgraded equipment and PROM. The more I get involved with the LT5 the more I'm amazed it was developed over 20 years ago.

Indeed, the LT5 engine was pretty amazing stuff in the early 90s.

If you end up needing professional help, there is an Corvette service shop which specializes in LT5s in Bowling Green KY. It's called Automasters

Automasters of Bowling Green

The folks at Automasters have worked on my car, and I have been satisfied! :beer

hi ray i am have an NC inspection liscense, and used to live in california. In NC you have to have all emisions equipment that the vehicle came with in place to pass. You can install headers as long as the cats, oxygen sensors , and mufflers are in place. In CALI if you install headers and such you need to check to see if it has a CARB EO number allowing you to install devices and be legal for inspection. I am also pretty sure if it pass visual they still run the IM240 emissions test, sort of a dyno run reading exhaust emissions.

Ray since your car is a 94 anything pre 1996 the state of NC does not hook up to your dlc3 conector. so for inspection all you have to have is the SAFETY portion. so you can even have a present check engine light on and pass, but the smog equipment still has to be in place, does not have to work but does have to be in place.. If you are considering muffler eliminators you may still pass depending on the inspector since the resonator still silence the car somewhat and most ispectors think that is a muffler.

Thanks Grand Sport#12 and others. All smog and safety equipment are in place. I installed a Vortec Cold Air System, marc haibeck Calibration and magnaFlow Mufflers, passed inpsection with flying colors and turned 387RWHP on the Dyno the other week. Amazing how the LT5 reaches max HP and then just holds it. See the test on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSomKqDG4Og
Satisfied so far, haven't made up my mind on long headers to get over 400RWHP or not. Waiting to see what I get in the 1/4 mile.
Thanks to all for their input.

The 387 at the wheels...was that raw number, standard-corrected or SAE-corrected?

If you want 400+ at the wheels, you either need to port the heads and housings or put headers on.

Back in the day, my '95 made 413 at the wheels, SAE-corrected using a Street Skinner engine package, stock exhaust manifolds and a custom-built exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers. It passes the California enhanced smog check.

RWHP was Uncorredted-Run on Dynojet at 30.75 in-Hg/78.7 F and 27% humidty. SAE corrected was 370. Unfortunately too much electrical inteference to get accurate Torque. No wiring chages since born in April 1994 so I may have to check out connections, Doesn't seem to be any real problem at this time. Any suggestions?
Taking to the track on April 10 for National Speed, Wilmington NC bash, see what we get in the quarter (street tires Sumitomo HTR 35Z's, no idea what to expect) then most likely do Stainless Works long tube headers. That should get me well north of 400rwhp down here in Wilmington, NC at darn near sea level. I've been told to expect 400-410 uncorrected (guess around 390 SAE corrected). I'd like to stay away from getting into the engine and higher expenses.
Been reading to get lowest ET it's best to put street slicks on as well.
Thanks for all the great info and input.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom