Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differences US vs Europe C5

P

Pavarotti

I was wondering if somebody knows the differences between C5 Corvettes in Us and Europe?`

I have a C4 now and i can for instace change between US miles/km and Farenheit/Celcius. Is that possible in the C5 ? it seems to have show speed in miles only in US for instance?

I am asking because i am thinking about importing a C5 to Europe. Tips from people that have done this would be great!!!

Pavarotti said:
I was wondering if somebody knows the differences between C5 Corvettes in Us and Europe?`
Hummm, lets see:
- Different tail lights
- Side marker lights on Euro cars
- Euro Spec tires
- Believe that the glass is a different standard
- Head Lights - don't know if the standard Vette lights meet Euro standards

others????

tom...

Tom, you got just about all of them.

Tail Lights -- Euro specs call for a turn signal a different color from the brake lights. This is done by having an amber colored oval insert in the lower part of the outside tail light on each side. Also, since European license plates are wider than US the reverse lights are handled in the same manner only this time they are in the inside of each pair. There is also a pair of rear foglights mounted below the tail lights just about even with the bottom of the license opening

Side Marker Lights -- Euro Vettes have side marker lights on the front and rear quarter panels. They are amber instead of red.

Euro Spec Tires -- The Euro vettes are equipped with the same tires as the US models.

Glass -- Don't know but it is likely the same glass that is in the US models. Older Euro cars used to have different glass but Euro safety standards are pretty close to US standards these days.

Head Lights -- The US cars have dual-beam headlights. the Euro cars have single-beam headlights.

Speedometer -- The US delivery cars have a speedometer that reads to 200 since our default is MPH. Euro and Canadian delivery cars have a speedo that reads to 300 due to the KPH (metric) default.

Guages -- The oil pressure and coolant temp guages for the Euro and Canadian cars will be in metric units, kilopascals and celsius respectively. In the US cars they are in lbs and Farenheit.

Radio -- The US channel spacing defaults on the radio are 1000kHz in the AM band and .2mHz (on the odd tenths) in the FM band. The Euro spacings are 900kHz in the AM band and .05mHz in the FM band. There is no way to switch the US radio to the European spacings. I have tried on mine. You can get lucky with some FM stations that happen to be on the odd tenths such as 93.3 for RTL radio near me but most stations will not come in without at least some static since they are not usually on the odd tenths in the FM.

Last but not least -- The Z06 is not available in the European market.

Thanks for all the answers.

Tail lights and headlights is pretty OK, it might even bee possible to use US lights. On my -93 i have all red tail lights and thats OK, dont know about the headlights but i might have to by new euro headlights. I know i will have to add side marker lights.

I can live with different glas and even the different radio.

So the big problem would be the tachometer. Am i going to have to by a new tachometer or
is there some kind of label or something i could buy someware and glue onto the front of the existing tachometer which shows km/h instead??? And i asume that it is a lot of work to get the tachometer out of the car in the first place...

The main reason for importing is that there are a much bigger selection to choose from in US.
But i dont want to much hassel before i can start using it.

There is an English/Metric button on the Driver's Information Center which changes the units on the Speedometer. No need to change the unit at all. That is unless you plan on driving over 200 kph most of the time and you don't have the Heads Up Display!

tachometer

Pavarotti-
The tachometer should work fine, as it displays revolutions per minute. Wouldn't that be the same for you? The speedometer can display eithe MPH or KPH, depending on how you set it in the Driver Information Center (DIC).

OK, thanks for that info about the speedometer . I misinterpret the repies and some pictures on some US speedometers.

That's great news for me, i think will have to pursue this with some calls to our Swedish customs and motor-vehicle inspection to find out what regulations i have to look into.

thanks all for your responses, you have been a big help.

I am surprised that no one listed the up graded brakes. All C-5s that are bought or exported to Europe have Z06 brakes installed as they come down the assembly line at BG. Saw this first hand.:Steer

The brake calipers for normal C5s were changed over to red for the 2003 model year. Only Z06 calipers were red before that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom