Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Different coolants?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
If my 89 came from the factory with green Etheline glycol anti-freeze and I drained it and installed a 50/50 mix of the pink Propylene Glycol, will it give the same protection as the green coolant ? I never though about the coolant and different block materials. Thank you !

I would use whatever type of coolant came with the vehicle.

If the Vette came with the green coolant, use the green coolant.

In 1996, Corvettes came with the orange DexCool. My Vette is a 96. I replaced the DexCool in 2001, 2006 and now in 2012. The DexCool I removed looked just as good as the DexCool I put back in. Color is bright orange and no sludge or deposits whatsoever.

The green coolant needs to be changed every two years. DexCool will last for five years.

Replacing antifreeze is a simple, inexpensive, regular maintenance item which will enable your engine and cooling system to stay in tip-top shape.

While driving your newly flushed Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Coolants used by GM ?

It makes sense to change the coolant as often as stated in the owners manual. I also have a 1990 Chevrolet Silverado pickup with a 305 ci. in it. Now it states it takes ethylene Glycol rather than Propylene Glycol. Now in 1990 GM put both coolants in different cars with all sort of different engines. So I'm just wondering if the 'Green' coolant is for cast iron engine or if 'Pink' Propylene Glycol is strictly for aluminum engines only ? I know that the EPA made the decision to phase out the green Ethylene glycol, or I read it in one of the automobile magazine. The fact that Dow and DuPont still manufacture both makes me wonder why the switch was decided on. I realize that the green is not good for the environment, and pink is not so harmful to the environment. But I'm a good bit confused by the different uses and the cross checking of the two coolants and how they affect a vehicles cooling system. For example, can a cast iron engine in say a 1999 GM pickup truck use the green propylene glycol instead of the green ethylene glycol, if not why not ? Or why can't I put propylene glycol in a 1975 L-82 and why ? I just find a good definitive answer. :hb

I would use whatever type of coolant came with the vehicle.

If the Vette came with the green coolant, use the green coolant.

In 1996, Corvettes came with the orange DexCool. My Vette is a 96. I replaced the DexCool in 2001, 2006 and now in 2012. The DexCool I removed looked just as good as the DexCool I put back in. Color is bright orange and no sludge or deposits whatsoever.

The green coolant needs to be changed every two years. DexCool will last for five years.

Replacing antifreeze is a simple, inexpensive, regular maintenance item which will enable your engine and cooling system to stay in tip-top shape.

While driving your newly flushed Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

I take great issue with GM red Dex-PLUG.

I had 4 late model GM vehicles with this problem coolant. ALL HAD THE PLUG, INCLUDING ONE BOUGHT BRAND NEW, STAYED RUNNING AS PERSONAL VEHICLE OF FLEET, IMMACULATELY MAINTAINED, STAYED RUNNING 12 - 16 HRS/DAY, AND IT HAD THE PLUG AT 100K MILES (ABOUT 20 MONTHS OLD).

This is a rare failure of GM...

"killian" let me ask you....is the "pink" coolant you're using come from containers labeled "propylene glycol" or is it that you believe the "pink" or "orange" coolant has a propylene glycol base?

Last edited:
I take great issue with GM red Dex-PLUG.

I had 4 late model GM vehicles with this problem coolant. ALL HAD THE PLUG, INCLUDING ONE BOUGHT BRAND NEW, STAYED RUNNING AS PERSONAL VEHICLE OF FLEET, IMMACULATELY MAINTAINED, STAYED RUNNING 12 - 16 HRS/DAY, AND IT HAD THE PLUG AT 100K MILES (ABOUT 20 MONTHS OLD).

This is a rare failure of GM...

Maybe you should have serviced the cooling systems properly. Dexcool is to be changed every 50,000 miles or 5-years whichever comes first.

I'd say if you ran those four vehicles to 100,000 miles whatever problems you had were self-inflicted.

Maybe you should have serviced the cooling systems properly. Dexcool is to be changed every 50,000 miles or 5-years whichever comes first.

I'd say if you ran those four vehicles to 100,000 miles whatever problems you had were self-inflicted.

One vehicle (bought used, I must admit), was 4 Y/O, with 63K. 13k over MILEAGE change interval, UNDER TIME interval, HAS TO BE WITHIN TOLERANCE, to not develop a plug. It DID.

I think GM lost a Class Action related to this product... Root causes WITHstanding, I AM familiar with corporate legal departments' manipulation of legal proceedings, AND DISPOSITIONS OF SAID ACTIONS...

Last edited:
Those intervals are not something plucked out of the air. In fact they are probably only 50% of there actual test cycle for them. If for instance they issue a warrenty for the drive line of 100K. They will have testing history showing that they actually were abel to run the drive train 200k without failure. I f this were not the case they would have warrenty service costs that would drive them into bankruptcy. I base this on personally having seen test vehicles run through a 115K test and disassembled inspected and put back together and run through another 115K test cycle without failure. This was over 20 years ago I saw this being done. The drive line warrenty then was something like 50K on new cars. Don't get me wrong I am not advocating running things like anti freeze or other fluids twice as long as there recommended change intervals. What I am saying is that if the manufacture recommends a service schedule with a particular product it is based on solid testing data. Now if the car is 20 years old sure there are newer products with longer service intervals. But why change from what was designed for the car originally. In fact adding some newer product may damage your car since it may have materials that are not compatable with the newer fluid.

Those intervals are not something plucked out of the air. In fact they are probably only 50% of there actual test cycle for them. If for instance they issue a warrenty for the drive line of 100K. They will have testing history showing that they actually were abel to run the drive train 200k without failure.

I'd have to agree that's this is the standard for engineering - not only mechanical, but chemical too. Otherwise, failures and legal action (as in this case), would hurt the company...

Not Dex-Cool exactly ?

"killian" let me ask you....is the "pink" coolant you're using come from containers labeled "propylene glycol" or is it that you believe the "pink" or "orange" coolant has a propylene glycol base?

No hib, I installed the gallon/s jugs of what is on the label "Mixes with any Coolant" type of anti-freeze. Someone told me that this is considered 'Global' anti-freeze. I think my basis of the question is or can a cast iron engine run on this 50/50 Mix with anything type of coolant ? I don't know of the In's and outs of Dex Cool other than it's in my 2003 1SC coupe and in my 2007 Pontiac grand Prix GT both of which have all aluminum engines. But I'm pretty confused about the actual applications of Ethylene Glycol vs. Propylene Glycol. Thank you for your help.

My 2006 Grand Prix owners manual says change coolant every 5 yrs or 100,000 miles ... at 80,000 the heater core plugged with slime.
Any vehicle I own with the dexcool will get it dumped and flushed . It is the poorest excuse for coolant I have ever had the misfortune of
having in a vehicle.

My 2006 Grand Prix owners manual says change coolant every 5 yrs or 100,000 miles ... at 80,000 the heater core plugged with slime.
Any vehicle I own with the dexcool will get it dumped and flushed . It is the poorest excuse for coolant I have ever had the misfortune of
having in a vehicle.

How old was the car when it was at 80k?

I bought my 1996 vette in 2007 with 61k on it and was told by the used vette dealer the coolant did not have to be changed until 100k. Me not being familar with dexcool, did not change it until last year from loosing and adding fluid from a bad radiator cap that did not suck fluid back into the radiator after engine cool down. I am having to replace my heater core, that is now leaking, next spring at a cost of a little more than a grand (includding the upper and lower radiator hoses). For future reference, if you ever have to replace your radiator cap, GO TO A DEALER AND GET A GM OEM CAP!. The aftermarket ones have sub-par gaskets and do not work! :eyerole

Coolant type ?

Thank you Hib, what I used one tech told me is "Global" coolant. It is the type that says it will mix with both pink DexCool and or green ethylene glycol. That's what the on containers. However, sense my initial post I got worried with the temps around here flirting with 30 degrees and after digging through the owners manual it does state the cooling system require green ethylene Glycol, so I drained it, and a good flush and filled it with 1 gallon of straight Prstone Green and then finished it off with Prestone 50/50 gallon. I have to check the protection tomorrow with my old fashion anti-freeze tester.

But the shop I asked about it, they said even with a cast iron engine block and heads the "global" meaning it will mix with either pink Propylene glycol and or green ethylene glycol ? I think you wrote and article on coolants a few years ago. I save all my magazines and see if I can find it. Thank you for the facts. :confused

One thing further, I refilled the system the old green anti-freeze, and with the prestone anti-freeze checker says I'm good to -34o below zero ! ;LOL

Last edited:
Well....I'm not sure what "Global" antifreeze is and we still haven't established if what you put in the engine was actually propylene glycol or ethylene glycol but...if the bottom line question is: What's safe for a cast iron engine, that easy.

If the coolant mix is safe for an aluminum engine it will also be safe for a cast iron engine, so be it propylene or ethylene, it will be fine as a 50/50 mix in a cast iron motor.

Green coolant,

Well....I'm not sure what "Global" antifreeze is and we still haven't established if what you put in the engine was actually propylene glycol or ethylene glycol but...if the bottom line question is: What's safe for a cast iron engine, that easy.

If the coolant mix is safe for an aluminum engine it will also be safe for a cast iron engine, so be it propylene or ethylene, it will be fine as a 50/50 mix in a cast iron motor.

Ok, thanks for your help !

I bought my 1996 vette in 2007 with 61k on it and was told by the used vette dealer the coolant did not have to be changed until 100k. Me not being familar with dexcool, did not change it until last year from loosing and adding fluid from a bad radiator cap that did not suck fluid back into the radiator after engine cool down. I am having to replace my heater core, that is now leaking, next spring at a cost of a little more than a grand (includding the upper and lower radiator hoses). For future reference, if you ever have to replace your radiator cap, GO TO A DEALER AND GET A GM OEM CAP!. The aftermarket ones have sub-par gaskets and do not work! :eyerole

Good advice about the radiator cap. The OEM ones work much better and for a longer time.

Sorry to hear about your heater core.

The used vette dealer did not tell you the COMPLETE truth. The time frame is 100,000 miles OR five (5) years, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST!

If you had changed it immediately after purchasing the Vette, you might have been able to avoid the heater core problem.

Too late now, but maybe someone else will be able to learn from you.

After replacing your heater core, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom