Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! difficult oil filter removal

seadog77

Corvette
2009 base
I'm trying to remove a damaged oil filter on my 2009 vette. The garage must have tightened it too much. Since I didn't know the brand of filter, I had to try to loosen it with hit and miss cap filter removal tools.
Final resort used a band wrench with no result. Now the filter is dented. Suggestions welcomed.

Welcome to CAC Seadog. :w Makes you want to cuss doesn't it? I've had to resort to poking a hole through filters with a pointed prybar a few times when all other options have failed. Band-strap wrenches usually will get them off, surprised that didn't work. You might try to spray some penetrating oil around the gasket to see if that helps. Other than that, it's just going to be a messy removal.

I'm trying to remove a damaged oil filter on my 2009 vette. The garage must have tightened it too much. Since I didn't know the brand of filter, I had to try to loosen it with hit and miss cap filter removal tools.
Final resort used a band wrench with no result. Now the filter is dented. Suggestions welcomed.

A strap wrench with a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive attached it for a ratchet extension placed as close as you can get to the filter sealing surface is usually your best bet.

That has worked for me most of the time.

finally removed oil filter

A strap wrench with a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive attached it for a ratchet extension placed as close as you can get to the filter sealing surface is usually your best bet.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I finally had to resort to self adjusting groove joint pliers to get the filter off. Back in business !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom