Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Difficult to come off of high idle

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I've been driving in cooler than normal weather, but It seems like I am having trouble with the carb staying in high idle mode. It is idling high as I approach operating temp, then it finally lets off, but later than it should.

I located the screw that adjusts the cam tension if that's what it's called, and backed it out about 1 turn, but it still seems to stick in high idle too long. Input would be very helpful.

Have you checked the choke linkage? Check if it sticking? Is the choke butterfly opening all the way?

Have you checked the choke linkage? Check if it sticking? Is the choke butterfly opening all the way?
Yes the butterfly opens, and closes when choke is engaged. I backed the screw another half turn beneath the choke linkage, and it went off high idle with ease this morning, but it was not as cold out either.

If you backed off the fast idle screw 1.5 turns that is a lot and your fast idle will be much lower. Does the choke housing have a plastic cover on it with 3 screws holding it in place? If so you can adjust the spring tension to open sooner in warmer weather. We used to have to adjust choke pull off’s seasonally also. PITA. Long live FI. 🙂

If you backed off the fast idle screw 1.5 turns that is a lot and your fast idle will be much lower. Does the choke housing have a plastic cover on it with 3 screws holding it in place? If so you can adjust the spring tension to open sooner in warmer weather. We used to have to adjust choke pull off’s seasonally also. PITA. Long live FI. 
Ok, I have the three screw adjustment. I think if I turn it clockwise, the choke will be less, meaning the butterfly will be more open than if I turn it clockwise and the chock will close more. Is this also controlling the fast idle tension? What say you?

The choke cover is only a spring that controls how fast the choke plate will open and how hard it will shut when cold. The looser the spring tension the quicker the choke blade will open and the fast idle cam will drop to it's lower settings, and eventually has no idle speed control when fully open. Make sure you mark the original cover setting and loosen it 1/4-1/2" or 1-2 marks if it has them and try that. Don't go too far too fast, just a little at a time and retest. It can take a lot of patience like in the not so good ole days. This adjustment should only be done if the engine and carb are working properly.

LLCS, I'll move it a little tonight. It will be cool in the morning, and the engine will be bone cold. The carb is working very well, and all the linkage as far as I can tell is working. Also when the fast idle is engaged, the secondaries won't kick in. I noticed this myself. Backing off the screw was needed because I thought the engine was racing too much for a cold engine. I'll post my results. Thanks...

After setting the choke when cold, usually two pumps of the throttle, high fast idle should be about 2000 rpm or so (check spec's for your vehicle) and when the choke pull off is open and you tap the throttle again it should drop to around 1200 rpms on the fast idle cam second step. These speeds are approximations as every vehicle and engine combination can be different.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom