Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Digital Ignition on LT4

1996 LT4 Topic
T

Tap

Has anyone tried the new digital Ignitions from MSD or Accel on their LT1 or LT4??

There is a package deal on racenet.net that I am thinking about installing on my 96-LT4.

Accel 300+ Digital Performance Ignition System

Accel 300+ Stock Replacment Coil (except 96-97 Kit)
Your Choice of Accel 300+ Igniton Wires
or Accel Extreme 9000 Ignition Wires

Your Choice of 8 Accel Spark Plugs
or 8 NGK V-Power Spark Plugs Accel 300+ Digital Performance Ignition System

I had and LT 4 that had the MSD 6AL, along with the MSD coil and MSD 8.5 wires, worked fine with no problems. Biggest pain was trying to find a place to mount the box

I'm going with the MSD Digital-6 plus. And it IS hard to find a place to mount it.

vetsvette said:
I'm going with the MSD Digital-6 plus. And it IS hard to find a place to mount it.

I have mine mounted right next to the vortex air box, on the radiator shroud, seems to be cooler up there

Super:
That is a damn good idea. When I was looking to mount the MSD6AL I had the cut lid and K&N setup. Gave up and sold the MSD. Now I have the Vortex and that does free up some space. I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks.:_rock

I mounted my MSD 6a (I saw no need for the 6al, since I have a rev limiter already) all the way up front/right, in front of the right front tire, in that little well near the turn signals. Its very inconspicuous down there, and close to the coil.

MSD Coil

Did you guys mount the MSD coil in the same bracket as the old coil on the R/H Cyl. Head? What does that heat sink & control unit do that the coil mounts to? It appears on mine that I would need to drill out rivets to remove the old coil if I were going to use that bracket again.

MSD is releasing a direct replacement coil PN#8231 this summer. I'm going to run the stock unit until it comes out. The harness number for a '96 is 8877.
:w

Supernatural 400- could you post a picture of your setup?

vetsvette said:
MSD is releasing a direct replacement coil PN#8231 this summer. I'm going to run the stock unit until it comes out. The harness number for a '96 is 8877.
:w

Supernatural 400- could you post a picture of your setup?

As far as I know in looking through their catalog they have had the two wire coil out for some time. in fact I was going to buy it last year, but never got around to it

Yeah, the two plug coil has been out for a while. I even bought one thinking the '95 and "96 must be the same. Wrong! The '96 has a single plug coil and the MSD version won't be out until this summer. I talked it over with one of the MSD Techs and am installing the ignition and harness now and I'll just have to replace the coil when available. It will plug in to the harness just like the stock coil.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom