Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

digital readout problem - 1991

Red73BB

Corvette
1969 dark red convert
Friends,

My 91 wouldn't start ( dead battery - sat too long ) so I jump started with no problem.

However

The digital readout - speedometer, gas gauge - doesn't read correctly or doesn't display at all.

The digital readout was working just fine before the dead battery. After I jumped it, I took it for a drive and about 10 miles into the drive the problem appeared.

can anyone help? have you seen this before?

Gary

Friends,

My 91 wouldn't start ( dead battery - sat too long ) so I jump started with no problem.

However

The digital readout - speedometer, gas gauge - doesn't read correctly or doesn't display at all.

The digital readout was working just fine before the dead battery. After I jumped it, I took it for a drive and about 10 miles into the drive the problem appeared.

can anyone help? have you seen this before?

Gary
Make sure that your battery is charged good!!!Remove the neg battery cable for 5 min and reconnect!!! Lets see if this fixes it!!!!;) :upthumbs :D

I can do that - what does that do? resets all instruments?

I can do that - what does that do? resets all instruments?
Reboots the ECM!!! Dead battery's and Jump starting can make a ECM do all sorts of Weird things!!!:upthumbs

Thanks - GM

ECM = Electronic Computer Module?
Electronic Control Module, Engine Control Module,Electronic Command Module, 220-221 just whatever it takes!!!!:D :upthumbs

Probly wouldn't hurt to make sure the Pos and Neg Battery cable connections are Clean while your there!!!:upthumbs

GM Junkie

Thanks for the tips, but still the same problem. The dash fades outs or give the wrong info. It was suggest that I change out the fuse because it could be weak. I thought either fuses worked or the didn't. The fuse was good.

Any other suggestions?

GM Junkie

Thanks for the tips, but still the same problem. The dash fades outs or give the wrong info. It was suggest that I change out the fuse because it could be weak. I thought either fuses worked or the didn't. The fuse was good.

Any other suggestions?
Have your Alternator Checked out, a bad Diode can run the Battery Dead and make the Computer go Bonkers because there is AC voltage slipping past the Diodes!!! AC voltage and DC components Don't Mix well!!:upthumbs PS Check the Big Red single lead to the Alt,I've seen them corrode where the Eye attached to the wire and cause the same problem!! And it is Very hard to see because it's where the Eye attached to the Wire,not where the eye attached to the Alt. And one more thing CHECK ALL grounds!!!!!!!

Junkie,

Luck yes!

Every thing I checked , all looked things good which led to more fustration.

I went to a ride yesterday and after hitting a hole in the road, the display is now back 100% bright.

So I have a lose wire somewhere, but at least I'm know the problem, now it's just fixe it!

Junkie,

Luck yes!

Every thing I checked , all looked things good which led to more fustration.

I went to a ride yesterday and after hitting a hole in the road, the display is now back 100% bright.

So I have a lose wire somewhere, but at least I'm know the problem, now it's just fixe it!
It's gonna be a Ground somewhere!!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom