Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dilema - Keep 88 or buy 82

Gee, I guess you know what I'd say:D. WRONG - Do what you can to have both:L .

Guy

Decision made

Well the problem got solved last night. My brother is trading the 82 in on a 99 pewter convertible. Dealer down here didn't seem too interested in selling the 2000 I had found down here. Called him 4 times and never got a return.

Anyway they are giving him $14K for his 82. He'd sell it to me but I can't afford another one and I've really grown attached to the 88. So I'm happy with my decision and my brother's very happy with the 99. Said it's a world of difference than the 82 but his 82 is a classic. He said he'd probably regret selling the 82 by next month but money and garage space were a problem with keeping 2.

BTW - the 82 is being bought from the dealer by D&M Corvettes in Downers Grove, IL (near Chicago). Looked at their website last night and it looks like they deal in high-end, low mileage Vettes. No prices posted (call dealer for details) but I imagine they get top dollar for them. Can't wait to see what they will ask for the 82. I'm betting on $18K.

Thanks for all the help. At least with this settled I'm now sleeping better at night.

Ron

Baldie

Just some thoughts.....

If performance (racing) is an issue, keep the C4.
Just remember, it's only as fast as the next STOP SIGN, and still can't outrun a RADAR.

If not......

Both Vettes are red, 6 years apart, 2 different body styles, but, in five years, which will be worth more? C3 or C4.

Not that you should sell, but the C3 price will be on the upswing, the C4, will decline some.

How many C4's vs. C3's do you see?

Body Styles: C4's NICE but somewhat generic, C3's: CLASSIC

It's not often that most Vette drivers have a chance to "go back" in years, after all, you'd make this deal today if it was a C2 or C1 wouldn't you? One step back, can lead you to a giant step forward.

Just think, for the difference of just $3000.00, your that much closer to a true antique classic automobile.

In closing, I also wonder, if C4's will ever be considered classic,
most cars in that late 80 - early 90's all seem to blend together, and I'm not just talking Vettes.

NO HARD FEELINGS TO ANYBODY WITH A C4, this is just my humble opinion.

Good Luck

NEVER MIND

I see you had placed a post while I was writing mine.

Good Luck to your brother, and have some fun in your 88.

C3 vs. C4...Let's get ready to rumble!

10 years ago the C3 wasn't nearly as classic as it is now, and the C4s back end was too big--not to mention the square taillights (now who in their right mind would put square taillights on a vette!).

Now the C3 is "classic" and the C4s are vintage and the square taillights don't seem like such a kookie idea. The back end thing now belongs to the C5 which compared to the C3 is absolutely enormous.

10 years from now the C4 will be "classic", and C3 will be "timeless" and the C5 will be "vintage". The C6 will probably have 18 things wrong with it that will vanish in time and we will start all over again with the C7 which will shock everyone with its gawdawfull tandem widget design!

Do you see where I'm going with this? It is all a matter of perspective. It just doesn't matter which one you get, you will want more. I'm kinda looking for a project "classic" C3. I need a bigger garage.:D

--Drew:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom