Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Disassembly Procedure, Tach Drive Distributor?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
What's the procedure for removing the main distributor shaft from a tach drive distributor?

I drove out the pin and removed the drive gear, loosened the breaker plate assembly, removed the vacuum advance can, and removed the brass cross-gear tach drive gear housing. I can pull the main shaft up and out about 1.5" then it gets caught up on something and I can't move it any further.

What am I missing? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
:w

It should just come right out. Sounds like there may be a burr on the lower end of the shaft. IMHO

Oh, one other thought, if the tach drive gear is stripped which is probably the reason your removing the shaft in the first place, the chewed-up gear on the shaft may be binding on the housing bushing.

What's the procedure for removing the main distributor shaft from a tach drive distributor?

I drove out the pin and removed the drive gear, loosened the breaker plate assembly, removed the vacuum advance can, and removed the brass cross-gear tach drive gear housing. I can pull the main shaft up and out about 1.5" then it gets caught up on something and I can't move it any further.

What am I missing? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
:w
there is dried oil residue in the shaft which increase the diameter and you will need to spray something like brake cleaners to soften it up so you can pull the shaft thru the bushing

like motor man said there is a varnish build up on the shaft .spray some gumout in the holes in the bottom of the dist and keep working the shaft up and down it will free up eventually. good luck steve

like motor man said there is a varnish build up on the shaft .spray some gumout in the holes in the bottom of the dist and keep working the shaft up and down it will free up eventually. good luck steve

Thanks Guys.

I went ahead sprayed it as suggested... nothing yet. When I try to remove the main distro shaft, it really feels like metal against metal - or like something is still connected. I'll keep at it.

Ralph:
Where you drove the pin out of shaft ... is there a burr around the holes in shaft?

As Bob78 said ... maybe a stripped tach gear on shaft is burred?

Ralph:
Where you drove the pin out of shaft ... is there a burr around the holes in shaft?

As Bob78 said ... maybe a stripped tach gear on shaft is burred?

Jack,

You guys were right.

In looking closely on the shaft immediately below the tach gear (where it gets wider), there are small burrs on it.

Hmmmm.... how do I take care of this? A small file?

Thanks.

Ralph

Yea, just take a file and clean it up :)

With it apart look at the sideplay in the bushings, it shouldbe only about .001-.002. The lower wears out faster then the upper. Look at the bore in the housing for chewed up bottom, the early distributors didn;t use a plastic button on them and the iron will get faced off by the gear over time. The GM gears are the best and I've had my share of problems with some of the aftermarket shafts and gears. Shim the endplay to .007-.010. Replace the vacuum can, use good points and you'll be ready to go. I also mill oil slots in the distibutor so I can set them up to fit under the chrome cover and still get oil splash on the main shaft.

modified72distributor.jpg

72distributorlowerwindow.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom