Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Disc brakes question

DanB

Just got done installing new slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. (painted the calipers red for some bling) Never had slotted roters/ceramic pads. Whats the break in procedure?
Thanks

Dan

Good question, Dan.
I don't know if the break-in procedure for ceramics is different, but the rule of thumb I've always used after installing new brakes is simply drive normally for about 500 miles ("normally" meaning no hard braking).

Anyone have any more salient advice?

:w
-Patrick

I just bought the same setup Dan got for my C5. My order is still being processed at GM parts direct. I hope they ship soon.

Thanks for the break in advice!

From what i've read... you want to embed the pad material into the rotor by doing some hard braking. Take your Vette to about 60 MPH and do aggressive braking to about 10 MPH... DO NOT STOP COMPLETELY.

Do 60 MPH again... drive a for a mile or two then aggressively brake, harder than the previos time. Do this about 5 times... the first should bake kinda easy, and the 5th should be all out, but not allowing the anti-lock brakes to activate. If you feel the anti-locks come on... slightly back off the brake.

Drive about 5-10 miles to let the air blow on the brakes... The park it for the night.

Brake Replacaement

wishuwerehere82 said:
I just bought the same setup Dan got for my C5. My order is still being processed at GM parts direct. I hope they ship soon.

Thanks for the break in advice!

I am looking into new slotted/drilled rotors with new pads and braded lines. Ecklers has AC Delco's for $360 for a full set of 4. Where do I get them installed? I don't trust the dealer. I live in Delaware.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom