Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Distributor rebuild

Don Mason

Corvette
01 Convertible & 73 Coupe
Hey Guys, I am trying to rebuild a distributor for my 73 L-82. It is a correct tach drive unit. I purchased some rebuild parts including the bushings for the main shaft which are pretty worn, especially the bottom. I also got a bushing installation tool that was suggested in the catalog. No instructions came with the tool or bushings. Am I going to have to go to a machine shop to have the bushings replaced? Or, does anyone know a good detailed site I can visit for step-by step how-to instructions. As always I appreciate your input. Hapy New Year everyone.

Hey Guys, I am trying to rebuild a distributor for my 73 L-82. It is a correct tach drive unit. I purchased some rebuild parts including the bushings for the main shaft which are pretty worn, especially the bottom. I also got a bushing installation tool that was suggested in the catalog. No instructions came with the tool or bushings. Am I going to have to go to a machine shop to have the bushings replaced? Or, does anyone know a good detailed site I can visit for step-by step how-to instructions. As always I appreciate your input. Hapy New Year everyone.

Dave Fiedler has a good article on tach-drive distributor rebuild on his site at www.tispecialty.com.

:beer

Thanks John for the tip. Looks like this is not gonig to be the "cake walk" I was hoping for. I am probably going to have to hire this one out. Thanks again for the reply.

I've done a few of them and the bushings sold aren't too bad. I'm not sure which tool you have but you have to be sure it doesn't collapse the ID once installed. You may have to kiss hone it.
A note I found a few years ago on new parts. The main shafts and replacement cross gears are all over the place in dimension- or were the last time I did a couple. The gear cut was wrong on the black cross gear with brass button end. I bought from several vendors and all were bad. I even machined the brass buttom done to see if I could get better gear mesh but it didn't help. I installed a long button too and nothing worked,the gears were binding up. I had a couple of good old gears and they fit perfect. I ended up using one of the High Tech bearing gears and that worked ok. I don't know if High Tech is still in business or not but if the gears bind by hand they will strip out in the engine in no time.
I shimmed the endplay to 007-010 instead of the 060" they usually are. Fit the bushings for about 001-002 sideplay.
Good luck

Thanks guys for the valuable info. I'll be looking for a rebuild service.

rebuild service

I looked on TISPEACIALTY and $1800.00 to 3200.00 for a restored distributor sounds like a rip-off to me

Mikey go to the website and click on products go to corvette tachdrive distributors click on and read the box on left side D1

I looked on TISPEACIALTY and $1800.00 to 3200.00 for a restored distributor sounds like a rip-off to me
Looks like this might be the price to purchase a completely restored distributor outright, keeping your original for posterity. The 5 hours at $75.00 per hour looks to be just the labor to recondition your distributor. Parts on that option appear to be extra........
Andy :w

Looks like this might be the price to purchase a completely restored distributor outright, keeping your original for posterity. The 5 hours at $75.00 per hour looks to be just the labor to recondition your distributor. Parts on that option appear to be extra........
Andy :w

Yes, that's for outright purchase of an original TI distributor, not many of those around, the rarity of which drives the high price.

No need and of no use for a non-TI application like a '74.

Hey Don, I have a '74 tach drive dist. that is in nice shape that I am willing to sell at a reasonable price. Pm me or we can text.

I've done a few of them and the bushings sold aren't too bad. I'm not sure which tool you have but you have to be sure it doesn't collapse the ID once installed. You may have to kiss hone it.
(snip)

"Kiss hone" it?
I was wondering what.....:chuckle

Nah, I better not.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom