Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

distributor wires

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
i ned to figure out wich wires are for the distributor on my 74. I have a plug with 2 wires coming out of it, but its wrapped up with a third wire that is cut. these are what i think my be for the distributor, they are coming out of a bundle of wires that runs behind the wiper motor. they come out on the driver side of the wiper motor. on the other side of the wiper motor, there are 2 other wires just hanging, they also go into the same bundling of wires behind the wiper motor. this bundle of wires behind the wiper motor starts at the firewall under the brake booster, and runs the length of the firewall to the other side.

if someone could maybe tell me what color the wires to the distributor are, or where the wires from the distributor go, i may be able to get this figured out. The car was a parted out car, and i'm going crazy try'n to figure out which wires are for what.

thanx guys

I don't know what year they went to a HEI but if it is an HEI there will be a 10 gage red wire and a small brown wire (Tach) that goes to the distributor.
do you have an HEI or a points distributor?

not sure what distributor was on the car, someone snagged it before i got the car. the old points distributors only had one wire didn't they? Also the tach has a big cable coming out of the firewall but is not connected to anything, where does it go to? usually they have a wire that goes to the tach as everyone knows, but this is a big cable like the speedo has

do you guys know where i could get a wire diagram of the whole car? or a shop manual? the chiltons and haynes books are terrible. I had gotten an old shop manual for my 86, but not sure where to buy them

that answers my question, you need a tach drive distributor MSD makes a replacement that is more modern then the old points style and may be cheaper then an origional. Your tach is a mechanical style just like your speedo, that big speedo type cable should attach to the distribitor below the base.

the best wire diagrams are done by Don Olson, a work of art, I bought one from forum member Steppenwolf at Carlisle but it dissapeared from the back of my car. Steppinwolf can be found in the C1-C2 section often.

Dunno if the wire color-codes changed from '72 to '74, but you should only have three wires to the coil. The (+) terminal has a 20-ga. black/pink resistance wire (from the ignition switch - comes through the inboard multiple connector on the engine compartment side of the fuse block), and a 20-ga. yellow wire that comes from the small "R" terminal on the starter solenoid (provides a full 12 volts when cranking). There will be one black wire from the distributor base to the (-) coil terminal (points wire). If it has a radio, it should also have a noise suppression capacitor on the coil bracket with a short black wire to the coil (+) terminal.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom