Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do Callaways with Dymags ride better than stock Vettes?

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Hope this doesn't sound too stupid but what does anyone think of the above question?

The reason I ask is that my 90 (FX3) with Dymags rides better than any other C4 I've ever been in (with the possible exception of a 96 LT1 automatic I drove last year), including my 93.

Also the handling is absolutely spot on. I can place the car precisely whre I want in corners [apart from the REALLY bumpy ones :) ]

Admittedly my 93 had much higher miles and I suspect (maybe)the shocks were on the way out but my 90 really rides MUCH better.

As far as I can find out Callaway did nothing to the Twin Turbo suspension. Is that right?

Anyone had any similar experiences? Standard VS Dymag equipped vettes?

Funny you should say that...

I have no personal experience to judge from but something interesting that pertains to this came up yesterday. We were riding around the Carlisle grounds when we saw an non-Callaway car with a set of Dymags. We happened to end up talking to the guy for a few minutes. It was an '88 with the Z51 suspension I believe. One of his comments was that as soon as he installed the Dymags his ride and handling improved. So, that would indicate that the answer could be yes. Although, it is somewhat subjective I guess.

The Dymags are certainly lighter so there is less unsprung weight. They are also about 1/2 inch wider than stock 9.5 inch Corvette wheels and I think they widen the cars track by at least an inch as they really fill out the wheel wells.

Callaway did not do anything special to the suspension of the TT's unless you upgraded to their coil over package. The only thing that they did was equip factory ordered B2K cars with J55 heavy duty brakes.

Re: Funny you should say that...

90Callaway said:
The only thing that they did was equip factory ordered B2K cars with J55 heavy duty brakes.

They didn't do that on the '87s. :cry I verified this with Callaway before doing a little upgrade work to mine. New brake fluid, rotors surfaced, semi-metallic brakes and steel brake lines give me a lot more stopping power than I had. I never thought my brakes were that great...

...what does anyone think of the above question?

As far as I can find out Callaway did nothing to the Twin Turbo suspension. Is that right?

Anyone had any similar experiences? Standard VS Dymag equipped vettes?

I find the Dymag wheels change the feel of the steering quite a bit. I have driven many C4s with aluminum wheels, and of course driven the Callaways with Dymags. The Dymag equipped cars, always ride better.

I remember at Carlisle in 2002, we had loaded up in a golf cart on Sunday of the show - it was Pete, Kevin, Joe, and me if I recall, and we spotted a C4 with Dymags. I think Pete (Callaway4Fun) wanted to buy the wheels off the car on the spot, but the guy said, "it made the ride" and were the best thing he changed on the car! Not for sale. ;shrug

Fun times!!! :lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom