Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do not have run flat tires - What do i do if i have a flat

C

Cessna 182

I just got my 1999 Corvette yesterday. My second one since I had a 1959 in 1965. I noticed it had BF Goodrich tires and they are not run flat. What do others do that are in this situation to safe guard if they have a flat.

I have thought about the "fix a flat" in a can for an emergancy but what will this do to the air pressure tire sensors? Does anyone have a better solution? Just a new owner question. i sure do not want to buy another set of EMT tires. :) I really like this car. Good that I only live 70 miles from BWG.

thanks

Jim

just keep your AAA card handy. I actually was nervous and bought 2 new runflats for the price of almost 400 a piece.

Just keep an eye on the pressures. a small leak (nail or screw) won't let you set. you can pum it up a bit and get to a tire shop! If it's something serious fix a flat isn't going to work anyhow!

then it's AAA and a cell phone.

$400.00 A PIECE ! ! ! OMG...:eek no more hard driving for me...geezzzz.

atmmac said:
just keep your AAA card handy. I actually was nervous and bought 2 new runflats for the price of almost 400 a piece.

You are correct to be concerned about using fix-a-flat w/ sensors. Fix-a-flat also coats the inner liner of the tire making if more difficult to patch the tire. The stuff is also corrosive to wheels if not cleaned out and washed off. In general I do not like the stuff. Just watch your tire monitor system and if a tire starts going low get to a tire store.

The Z06's do not come with run flats OEM... I also dont use run flats.

If someone slashes my tires or if I have a blow out, yes I'm screwed.

Carry an air pump and a tire plug kit. You'll be just fine. If you do long trips in rural areas and are worried about it then there are a few different brands of runflat tires for the C5 availible. Kumho makes a much less expensive runflat in C5 Corvette sizes. Firestone and Michelin make runflats that cost more than the Kumhos but less than Goodyears. Yokohama make them too but I have heard the mileage is not great and they are expensive. You could also look for Goodyear EMTs on ebay.

atmmac said:
Or call ADAC (in Europe)!!!

You could IN THEORY carry your own repair kit, or even a spare front wheel (tire mounted on rim). Seen it done before, but I didn't like the loss of cargo space!!

I got rid of my Run Craps, on the track they were just like driving on ice. I replaced them with F1 Supercars, now I carry a 12V comperssor. Of all the flats I have had in my 40 years of driving a plug kit would not have helped. I have picked up screws and nails over the years and the tire held air just fine until I could get to a tire shop. So I'm playing the odds.

If all else fails I carry my AAA card and a cell phone.

AAA and a cell phone, I plan on getting a 12v compressor and plugs to use on long trips but for the most part I stay within 50 miles of home:L

I honestly can only remember three times I have had flats in 40 years of driving, one of them was in a Blazer with no spare;LOLone I fell asleep and hit a curb and one at speed in my wifes SS

my 76 has no spare or carrier also,I just keep good tires on it

Go with the jack, plug kit and small compressor. The problem with run-flats is even if you get to a tire store or gas station, it will be very rare to find a place that can mount and dismount a run-flat. For a proper repair they should be patched.

So being able to put in a tire plug on the side of the road is all you need.

sweet04 said:
$400.00 A PIECE ! ! ! OMG...:eek no more hard driving for me...geezzzz.
sweet04-
The price for a set of 4 tires installed is in the neighborhood of $1600. If you have the run-flats, special equipment is needed to mount the tires. Not every tire store will have what is needed (or the tires, for that matter). I figure about $75/month as the cost for tires. Bummer. :(

I think it breaks down to $6.00 per smokey burn-out. Not too bad. :D

Just swipe a Gideon's Bible from the Super 8 down the street... throw it in your glove box. You are all set!

Do not use fix-a-flat, it will cook the sensors, among other things. Someone else mentioned this, along with rim corrosion issues,etc.. Good advice on AAA if you leave these tires on. Non run flats do handle better, but one flat and towing will cure most people. A note on run flats if you decide to go that direction: Some run flats (such as Firestone) can NOT be repaired after a puncture, be sure to ask the question. If you have a flat, throw the tire away (in the case of some runflats). I had Goodyears (the OEM tire) on my 2001, replaced them when they wore out with Michelin Pilot run flats. The Goodyears were, in no particular order, better DRY handling, rougher riding, less traction in the rain, more prone to tramlining (following road imperfections), and louder than the Michelins. I think (obviously) that the Michelins are better all around than Goodyears. Check with Tire Rack or Discount Tire. The Michelins were about $20/tire higher for the fronts and about the same for rears as Goodyears.

jimmyb said:
I think (obviously) that the Michelins are better all around than Goodyears. Check with Tire Rack or Discount Tire. The Michelins were about $20/tire higher for the fronts and about the same for rears as Goodyears.
Are they the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Zero Pressure?

I got a flat the other day in my non run flat equipped Z06..

All I did was take the 20 dollar cigarette lighter powered air pump...find the hold...chalk it off and use a two dollar plug kit...(shoved a screw driver thingie into the hole with some black ties that come with the little kit that I got at Target)

Then filled the tire with air and drove over to a tire place...where they patched the inside of the tire correctly.

Good to go.

HTH..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom