Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do U have a drivability problem? change the pcv valve. It makes a huge difference!

JBsC5

I don't know why...

I couldn't tell you..

but I had this driveability issue....

The car was running intermediantly (sp) like crap...

vibration ...blah..blah..

Swapped out that little pcv valve that was jammed in the tube...

I swear something came flying out as it was pulled out of the tube..

Put a new one in and the cars running great..

I checked the old pcv valve and it would by all accounts be considered dirty but still good.

I'm posting this so if someone down the road ...has an engine problem..a vibration...poor performance....and its interment and you can't figure it out..

Consider changing this little 3 dollar pcv valve..

I'm stunned its replacement fixed my drivability issue..

Maybe it was some **** that flew out of the hose was blocking the opening of the pcv valve...I don't know..

Don't know what was flying out of that tube...but you could hear it land in the engine bay somewhere....

Have a good one and yes I feel like an idiot making this post..but figured if it could help a brother out....what do I care! :lol

Hey thats what this is all about,thanks for the info!

In addition, you would not believe the amount of oil that is drawn up through the PCV valve at idle. This includes quite a bit of moisture at initial start-up. I bought an oil catch can to eliminate 90% of it from entering. The can traps the oil and moisture before it enters the intake. I'm using Sea Foam to keep the valves and combustion chambers clean. I administer 1/3 of a can through the power break booster line to the back of the intake manifold, and another 1/3 through the PCV hose during idle. This keeps everything nice and clean and makes a huge difference in how well it runs.

Swapped out that little pcv valve that was jammed in the tube...

I swear something came flying out as it was pulled out of the tube..

Put a new one in and the cars running great..

I checked the old pcv valve and it would by all accounts be considered dirty but still good.

Hey for fear of sounding stupid and that would be debatable with some; where the :confused Sam H_ _ _ is this little sucker? I charged my oil & fllter to include the air filter, bought a PCV but for the life of me I could not find :confused it. I looked in the service manual and that is about like a phone book unless you know what your looking for it's almost impossible to find ;shrug I called the local GM dealer and talked to the :argue service manager :W and he didn't know. He thought it was on the RF of the engine around the intake somewhere; da! ;help

Thanks and any help like with pictures would be great as well :cool

Bill :w

I think the pcv valve is in different locations on different year corvettes as well as in a different place on an ls6 vs ls1.

Mines in a black plastic tube that runs from the base of the manifold to the throttle body.

My suggestion would be to post over at www.corvettemechanic.com

Those guys know each years differentiation.

GOod luck.

JB

I think the pcv valve is in different locations on different year corvettes as well as in a different place on an ls6 vs ls1.

Mines in a black plastic tube that runs from the base of the manifold to the throttle body.

My suggestion would be to post over at www.corvettemechanic.com

Those guys know each years differentiation.

GOod luck.

JB

Thanks, and I do visit www.corvettemechanic.com as well, I haven't given up yet :bang that little suckers got to be there somewhere.

Thanks again,

I usually pull the passenger side beauty cover off and the pcv is right there in that little black plastic tube..

Did you remove the beauty cover.? I think its called a FRC or soemthing...

In the Z its red and your car Its probably black. (although 2000 c5's have a slightly different setup from the 2001 Z if I remember correctly.

Here is what I found out about ls1 c5 vs ls6 c5:

Corvette LS1 vs LS6:
-different head castings (LS6 flow slightly better stock)
-different intake manifolds prior to 2001 Corvettes. All 2001 and newer Corvettes and F-body LS1s have the LS6 intake.
-different cam specs (02-03 LS6 cam is much better than 01 or regular C5)
-different PCV system
-slightly different block internals (crankcase port windows larger on LS6)
-same crank and rods, I believe pistons are a bit different

I usually pull the passenger side beauty cover off and the pcv is right there in that little black plastic tube..

Did you remove the beauty cover.?

I had the fuel rail covers off and still didn't find it but I am going to check it out in the morning after talking to some on this forumn and looking at a couple of pictures and etc. I think I will find it in the morning, that little suckers got to be there ;shrug someplace.

Thanks for your help,
Bill :beer

Did you find it?

Not yet, going to grab a quick shower and then I will look. I will report my findings ASAP.

Bill :beer

I have the same problem with my 99 LS1. I can find the tube coming out of the valve cover and it is spliced to a plastic tube with a rubber hose, but no PVC valve.:confused Is there a differance betwean 99 and 00, and if so where is that litle $#!?.

You're not going to believe it I FOUND THAT LITTLE SUCKER It is definently hidden from human eyes, mine has no U-shaped hose but it was between two hoses that starts along the RH top of the head and runs just below the throttle body area; the PCV was inside the fat end of one of them just like Junk said, but not quite like any of the pictures you all were so kindly to post. I had talked to the dealership and like I said they had no idea, I have the OEM service manuals and couldn't find it in there even though I am sure it has to be somewhere; but I could not find it from PCV or Positive Crankcase Ventilation or other things I thought in might be under. It appears that this one I removed was the original so it did get me a little excited when I found it, had to remove it with pliars. At anyrate I found it and that made my day for sure

Thanks again for all those who helped; what a great bunch of people I am having a now and maybe a couple for each of you.

Thanks again and the mystery has been solved

I finally found my also. One question, why is there a grounding wire clipped to the PVC valve? Does other LS1's have same grounding wire as mine does, and what is the purpose for it?:confused :confused :confused

I finally found my also. One question, why is there a grounding wire clipped to the PVC valve? Does other LS1's have same grounding wire as mine does, and what is the purpose for it?:confused :confused :confused
I seen that on my 03 Z-51,I haven't got a clue!!!:D :D

I found a clip around the PCV hose that held the small wiring harness that went to the throttle body area; is this what your talking about?

Bill

No,the harnes has a seperate clip to keep it from flaping around. I was refering to a single havy guage wire that clips on the PVC valve and ( aprx. 8" long) is grounded to the engine. By the way, THANKS Junk! Your photos helped me find the valve :beer .

No,the harnes has a seperate clip to keep it from flaping around. I was refering to a single havy guage wire that clips on the PVC valve and ( aprx. 8" long) is grounded to the engine. By the way, THANKS Junk! Your photos helped me find the valve :beer .

How is this wire attached to the PCV? Is it just a clip that goes around it or what? I know I did not have anything dircectly attached to the PVC. On the surface this makes very little or no sense. If you find out what this is or for I would be interested in knowing this :confused

Have you got pictures of this or not?

Junk, he da Man :upthumbs

Thanks,

I'll take some pictures tonight and try to post them.

:werd: I got to see this; if mine has this I didn't see it or maybe didn't know where to look :confused But I would think since I changed my PCV I would have seen something like this if it was attached someway with a clip. But yes a picture would be :cool

Thanks,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom