Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do you lubricate the centrifugal advance?

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
I have a suspicion that my poor running problems are due to sticking centrifugal advance weights. It's been a few years since I rebuilt the distributor, and at least two since I last removed the distributor cap, and I really can't remember what I did.

I'm thinking that a little smear of grease on the sliding surfaces would make sense, but then again, will that impede the motion?

What do you do?

John

I would imagine some high temp lithium grease wouldn't harm. wouldnt use anything like graphite or anything conductive or anything that might be very melty and low viscosity with heat.

I would imagine some high temp lithium grease wouldn't harm. wouldnt use anything like graphite or anything conductive or anything that might be very melty and low viscosity with heat.

I've seen some really old distributors, and I would think a spray of White Lithium on the weights and surfaces would be excellant lube. The weights and springs get old, thus you begin to have running problems. Be a good idea to change the cap and rotor while your in there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom