Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Documenting, understanding Vin #'s

Chevyman6772

Corvette
1965 Fuelie Roadster
I am new to this board and am not sure of how to use it properly. I placed some info about my car on here when I first joined but probably did it wrong. I have a 1965 Fuel Roadster that I am trying to get help with. I hope that with all the Corvette people on here that someone may know about GM's cars that were directly delivered to certain people / shows. The 1965 car I own was delivered to Joie Chitwood and his Thrill Show along with another Corvette and the other cars he would have used in the show that year.
After years of trying to get some answers I have finally made contact with Joie Jr. and Tim Chitwood. Tim helped me with a few questions yesterday and told me that the car's were not ordered at a Dealership and in fact were sent direct to them. Tim also said that my car was the fastest small block Corvette he ever drove. The following year was the first time Chitwood's had a west coast show and they had 2 1966's with 427's in them. Tim said the 65 Fuel car was faster. Another contact told me that when GM sent cars like this that they would use parts in the engine that may not have been available over the counter at that time. The same gentleman told me that car's sent direct may not have had a trim tag on them either. Would anybody have info about this ?
I know the car is rare because of the low numbers of fuelie's built in 65. This car came as a Radio Delete and had Knock Off's and teak and teli column too. When I bought this car in 1976, someone had removed the fuel unit, wheels and the trim tag. The Vin is there and reads 194675S103570 I also see a 12 and a 4 on it. I am guessing it was built in December on the 4th. of 1964. I bought this car in Lakeland, Florida from a college student who had recently bought it from a guy who played with Corvettes. I believe he worked with his Dad at a wrecking yard on Hwy. 98 just north of Lakeland, Fla and it may have been called Black's. Would anybody on this board be from Florida and remember this place ? I think the guy lived in Kathleen, Fla. which is north west of Lakeland.
I would greatly appreciate any help with this as I would like to document the car correctly and possibly find out if GM actually did this. I would also love to find out if anybody would know the gentleman near Lakeland who dealt in Corvettes and if he is still around. Thank you in advance for any help or if I am approaching this wrong, if you could help direct me in the correct way to begin.
Bill O'Grady

Hi Bill-

welcome to the site, sounds like an interesting car. The car was built somewhere around the 4th of December as you guessed, but I've never heard of a car being delivered without a trim tag irrespective of the circumstances. Things tend to disappear over the decades..........

The same gentleman told me that car's sent direct may not have had a trim tag on them either. Would anybody have info about this ?
Bill O'Grady

Bill, I've been restoring Corvettes since 1966, and have never seen a midyear without a factory-installed trim tag (except for those that had it removed at some later point due to theft, tag swaps, etc.). Your car was built within a day or two on either side of December 2, 1964, and the "12 4" you noted stamped on the VIN plate was most likely done by the dealer for December, 1964; Chevrolet begged the dealers to stamp the delivery date on the VIN plate when the pre-stamped "DD" (for Delivery Date) was added to the plate in 1964, but most dealers ignored Chevrolet and didn't stamp the date. Good luck with your information search.

:beer

Thank you in advance for any help or if I am approaching this wrong, if you could help direct me in the correct way to begin.
Bill O'Grady

Bill, getting confirmation from the Chitwoods is a great start. Is there any possibility that they have business records left over from the purchase and/or delivery? The more details you can get from them, the better!!

Since you've had the car since 1976, have you restored it at all? Although the odds are remote, there is a slim chance of finding a build sheet inside the dash if you haven't taken it apart. Remote chances are better than nil!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...-discussion/33709-build-sheet-1965-where.html

-Mac

Bill, getting confirmation from the Chitwoods is a great start. Is there any possibility that they have business records left over from the purchase and/or delivery? The more details you can get from them, the better!!

Since you've had the car since 1976, have you restored it at all? Although the odds are remote, there is a slim chance of finding a build sheet inside the dash if you haven't taken it apart. Remote chances are better than nil!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...-discussion/33709-build-sheet-1965-where.html

-Mac

Thank you for your reply. Tim doesn't know for sure if there are any records still around but said he would take a look for anything that may help when he returns home this fall. I did not see any signs of a build sheet when I took it apart. I have the frame and suspension all powder coated along with much of the related brackets, radiator support and air cleaner etc. I am in the process of gathering all the pieces together to begin to assemble the frame to roller condition. It has been sitting apart for30+ years.

Thank you for your reply. Tim doesn't know for sure if there are any records still around but said he would take a look for anything that may help when he returns home this fall. I did not see any signs of a build sheet when I took it apart. I have the frame and suspension all powder coated along with much of the related brackets, radiator support and air cleaner etc. I am in the process of gathering all the pieces together to begin to assemble the frame to roller condition. It has been sitting apart for30+ years.

World's greatest jigsaw puzzle! At least there's ample resources available on how to put it all together!!

Was there anything the Chitwoods modified on the 65 that would make it uniquely identifiable? If so, document everything and get confirmation from the Chitwoods. The more providence you can find and create, the better chance of confirming identity.

-Mac

World's greatest jigsaw puzzle! At least there's ample resources available on how to put it all together!!

Was there anything the Chitwoods modified on the 65 that would make it uniquely identifiable? If so, document everything and get confirmation from the Chitwoods. The more providence you can find and create, the better chance of confirming identity.

-Mac

Tim recognized the car when it was sitting @ Classic Corvettes in Tampa, Fla. by the holes in the floor behind the drivers seat where the roll-bar was attached. I had my car there getting the top fenders replaced and he had a 1978 in there getting turbo's installed. Because the Chitwood's headquarters/office was right down the street at the time from Lenny's Classic Corvette's, he would come by when in town.
You make a great point, I didn't even think to ask Tim if he would mind writing something for me. I will ask him next time we speak. Thank you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom